Need Classroom incubator advice

jculwell

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Hi - I have been the lead person to help at my kid's science and tech school to hatch eggs for the past three years. I would love to have my own coop, but can not due to HOA. so, I get my chick fix each year by hatching them in the classroom. For the past three years we have been using a Little Giant tabletop styrofoam incubator with the circulating fan and automatic egg turner. We are in colorado and the humidity indoor is usually about 5% so I have a really hard time keeping the humidity up. Our yields have been between 50 to 60%. (it always makes me sad to see the eggs that candled OK but did not hatch...) This year we may be able to buy a better incubator depending on the cost. I would love some advice on a good tabletop incubator (at least 20 eggs) that is reliable and has a good viewing window for the kids. there are so many different bators out there that my head is spinning trying to figure this out.
thanks!

I am in Colorado and I am trying to hatch right now. I have to run a humidifier in the room where I have the incubator to keep the humidity up. It is sooooo dry here right now. Everyone around here has great things to say about the 1588 Hovabator Genesis. But I don't know what your budget is like. I bet the one you have would work better if you could find a way to keep the humidity up.

thanks for the info. the Brinsea looks interesting, I'll see if we can get enough interested parents to donate towards buying it. It may have to wait for next year for the new incubator.
sad.png
due to the spring break schedule we will not begin incubating our eggs until the beginning of april, but I'm not sure I can raise the money and get the incubator in time.
Does anyone have any additional tricks for increasing the yield with the little giant?

Try running the Lg for a few days and add more water like a little bowl or something and see if that makes the humidity go up. Other people use sponges to help also. I would just experiment with it before you put eggs in and see if any of that would raise the humidity??

I would suggest a Genisis 1588 with the large window. I had a LG and had the same problem. The Genisis has a much easier time getting the humidity up, and there is little worry about flucuating temps.

Goodluck!

I personally have an octagon 20 and a genesis. I personally get better hatches out of my genesis.....It's a 3rd of the price and just as good. I just got a 100% hatch out of my genesis. The brinsea is a great 'bator, it's just very pricey for what it is, especially if you are only using it a couple times a year. My genesis has the electonic thermostat that is preset with fan and auto turner. I don't think the brinsea will help with your humidity problem. I think you are going to have to run a humidifier like the pp recommended. I am in Florida so humidity isn't a problem here. If we lived closer I would let you borrow mine!
smile.png

Good luck
jumpy.gif

I am in my 2nd year using a Genesis 1588 for school hatches ( and my own hatches at home ).... This is really easy to use & does well with the humidity. We heat with wood, but keep water on the woodstove to help with humidity. The Genesis is doing fine with keeping the humidity up - just have to add water every 4 days or so.

so I looked up the genesis 1588. Is it made out of styrofoam? what makes it better than the little giant?
thanks

The Genesis Hova-Bator is pre-set for bird eggs. Simply plug it in, then add water and eggs. Nothing to set up or adjust. This circulated air Hova-Bator comes with a thermometer, plastic bottom liner, and regulates itself in the 99. F (38 C) range. Like all incubators, the 1588 requires a stable room temperature and should not be used in areas like sheds or barns. Being pre-set, this incubator delivers consistently good hatches. Excellent for classrooms, novices, and experts. Can be used for most types of bird eggs. Dimensions 18" x 18" x 9 1/2" Automatic egg turners Model 1610M includes. Turner holds 42 to 120 eggs, dependant of breed and racks used. Without an automatic turner in place, the incubator will hold 50 large duck or chicken eggs or 140 quail eggs. 12 Volt DC power supply (included) plugs into 110 Volt outlet. FOR CLASSROOMS, LABORATORIES AND HOBBYISTS, THE 1588 IS UL/CUL APPROVED!

Back
Top Bottom