NEED COOP SHORTCUT!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 4hLuvers, Oct 14, 2008.

1. 4hLuvers

4hLuvers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Bay Area CA
    Hi All!
    We have been building our coop/run for 2 months now and are getting kind of tired. The run is almost done but we still need a coop. Any ideas on a fast cheap way to get a nice coop???We were thinking of a plastic shed but would that get too hot inside??? PLEASE HELP!!!!! [​IMG]
    -4hLuvers

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I would look and see if anyone has a shed they want hauled off.... they way you got something pretty much done that just needs cleaning and some roosts/nesting boxes/ and a door!

3. chicksalot

chicksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    WI
    I agree that if you can find something suitable that is pre-built...go for it! We started our coop this past weekend & are almost finished with the basic structure, but there were a few times, even over these days, I wished I had found something aready together. It is frustrating to run into problems & have to stop & figure out the next step...can be a little hard on the marriage, if ya know what I mean...[​IMG]

4. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I would look on craigs list or local classified ads for wood sheds or some times coops. Some people onn here have order playhouses from lowes on clearance and got them cheap.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I recently found 2 sheds on Craigslist for FREE (tonight!) just give it a peek.

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Craigslist! Look for things like sheds, play houses, dog houses. Those all can be converted into coops, and generally cost less then building your own.

7. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I found a 10' x 7' metal shed with double sliding doors free on Craigslist - it was just a few blocks from our house too!

8. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
  9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It's the time of year where hardware stores and other box stores are giving huge discounts on sheds, often with little windowns and screens. Building is a lot more work than you think isn't it? We started in winter (OMG)[​IMG]

10. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Quote:Dang, that's NICE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by