need daily sub q fluid dosage for an injured chicken

crittercaretech

out of the house and into the grow out coop
Mar 1, 2020
hello, thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer. day before yesterday we had a thunderstorm and lightening struck our property pretty darn close to the coop. I found two nearly dead hens layin in a puddle of water against the wire fence. best guess is she took some sort of shock from the lightening. One hen died shortly after and the other has slowly come around. she is alert but is having a hard time with coordination and her eyesight seems affected. I need to give her sub Q fluids to help with the dehydration but I loaned my Merck medical book to a friend and just realized it. need to know the recommended daily dosage for her weight. she is about 3 pounds. if any one has the book or has the knowledge stored in their brain please help me help my girl. I have sterile bags of NaCL 0.9% and Ringers Lactate on hand.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/globalassets/system/training-courses/wildlife-health-8/index.html#/
1633720053134.png

So I have been reading more, at I think that 10% is meant to be given over a 24 hour period, which makes sense since the most I've ever given at one time is 5-7%.

Three pounds is 1360 grams, so if I were gonna give three-pound bird fluids, I would give it 70 ml at least once a day.

Excellent thank you I had been being very conservative without knowing the exact calculations. Really appreciate it. She seems slightly better today so the proper fluid therapy should help her even more.

Back
Top Bottom