need duckling help. Food, bedding etc.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by supermommy, Apr 10, 2009.

1. supermommy

supermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    central ny
    Ok so I got 3 duckings at TSC yesterday. What Should I use for bedding? I tried shavings but they ate at them, then I tried paper towels but they are soaking them...LOL

I have read conflicting stories on what to feed them. I have them on starter chick food from TSC is that ok?

Also they told me they would be all black when they got bigger, Any idea on what breed they may be? Also how do you tell whether they are male or female?

Thanks in advance!!

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    When I got my ducklings last year, I put them on a towel, that way I could take it out and wash it. The chick starter from TSC is OK, it is no longer medicated. I called the # on the bag while I was at the store to ask them. I am not sure of what breed they are. Maybe if you post a pic, someone can identify them for you. Good luck with them. [​IMG]

3. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    I brood my ducklings in a spare bathtub, so I don't often have a need to use bedding for them. But when I have, I found puppy training pads worked great (and they didn't try to eat them).

I have also done just fine with my ducklings on 18% starter for the first 3-4 weeks-- I've used TSC brand, and also Purina, Southern States, or whatever the feed store has on hand. I do switch them to 16% grower after 4 weeks, and then on to waterfowl pellets at around 10 weeks. But plain old chick starter's done just fine for the first month.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I use wood shavings for bedding. But, the shavings I use are larger, more like small wood chips. They're too big for the ducklings to eat.

You can feed ducklings the same thing you would feed chicks. Start with unmedicated starter. The best food for them is waterfowl feed, but that's hard to find. Some people feed them gamebird feed.

Are your ducklings black right now? If they are then they are probably Cayugas. You can tell males from females at about 12 weeks old, the males will get a curly feather on their tails. Also, the females quack loudly and the males are very hoarse and whispery sounding.

5. supermommy

supermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    central ny
    Thanks so much for everyone response. After researching a little I relized the lady at TSC is crazy..They are mallords from what im seeing. They have the black lines threw there eyes (not litterally just the furries..lol) I put the shavings back in there just didnt use as much and they seem to be fine now! Thanks again!

6. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I mix newspaper and paper towels, just for ease of clean up. Enjoy your ducks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by