Need egg shipping advice!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amykins, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Hey, so I had a quick question about couriers and figured someone out there would have some advice. Any experienced shippers know what the difference is between couriers? As in, FedEx vs USPS, UPS, etc.? Who's the best? I know who's the cheapest (USPS) but obviously if I'm guaranteed better, safer shipping for eggies I wanna go through them.

2. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Imo I would go with Fedex. USPS would be my last choice. Of course I have never shipped or recieved eggs. Of course I guess it all depends on who handles the packages along the way, they all have their good and their bad.

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    USPS is the cheapest but not always the most reliable. (knock on wood) I've had good luck with them for the most part as far as eggs and live birds arriving on time and in tip top shape. That being said, I've also sent boxes of eggs that were received completely smashed (one even had a boot mark on it!). I also sent an empty (Thank GOD) chick box to someone that wanted one and it ended up LOST. Tracking said it went to HI (? was supposed to go from maine to oregon) then came back to me 2 weeks later IN PIECES IN A BAG.

FedEx and UPS won't ship live birds, but will ship eggs. They are more pricey but more reliable and more likely to get your box to it's destination in perfect condition. Just keep in mind that with these, they sometimes work all day (early in the morning until 6-7 at night) so depending on location and delivery, the egg may sit in the back of a cold truck for a whole day before they arrive. But you can always put a number on the box and as to pick it up at the annex.

4. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    In a logistical point of view when time is of the essence usps is the way I go. It's not just the ride in the truck it's from u picking the eggs up till the receiver unpacking them. And where I live there's more that can go wrong timing wise with other carriers. Usps is about 5min from my home and the package arrives at it's destination via a worker that's more than likely knowledgeable of the area. I ship a lot of eggs and they have never been late or damaged. Just my way that I found works another way may work better for you.

5. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Thanks for the input, everyone. <3 I think I'm gonna go with FedEx 'cuz I like the option of going to pick it up, rather than having it lie in a cold truck all day like Leary said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by