Need eggs!

Right there with you, but things may be looking up. I have bought 3 dozen in the last month. I haven't gotten more than 1-2 since the end of December. The only two that have been laying, have yet to fully molt & their eggs are getting rough. Today I saw one of my 23 week old pullets in the nest box & sure enough she laid an egg! It was rather large for a pullet egg, 50 grams. I never had them start so late, so maybe that is why it's bigger! I do have a light on , but only at 5 a.m.

It’s been two days with no eggs so I think I’m going to have to give in and buy eggs tomorrow :( . It’s funny the comments I see about the Easter Eggers! I have just one but she is a total spaz! She will lay every day for ages, then not lay for awhile, then go broody..she is so unpredictable! I’m praying there is at least one duck egg in the morning tomorrow for breakfast!

I’m in MS and we had a horrible Nov/Dec. we eat lots of eggs so we bought lots of eggs. Between molting and waiting for new layers I didn’t think they would ever lay again. First of the year they gradually picked up. Yesterday was 13 eggs out of 15 hens. I’m sharing and hatching and we still have eggs stacking up!

The odd thing I have been finding this winter is that my blue layers and brown layers take breaks at different times for some reason. I am not complaining because at least I am still getting eggs, I just wonder why they are doing that.

Back
Top Bottom