Need eggs!

Gdove419

Songster
Feb 28, 2018
I can’t wait for spring for several reasons, but mainly because I am totally out of eggs! I just took my last two frozen eggs out for tomorrow morning. We are still getting the occasional duck and/or chicken egg but we have no more frozen ones for a backup! I am so looking forward to collecting my chickens and ducks colorful eggs again! This is our first winter after a molt and with no new layers, so first winter without many eggs! How is everyone else doing and where? We are in Rhode Island

Attachments

• DB65E148-C42B-4258-8657-5FA2FB0D30E0.jpeg
    DB65E148-C42B-4258-8657-5FA2FB0D30E0.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 13
  • C9E017C0-1ABB-4DBC-9D96-3C8E16B04EB2.jpeg
    C9E017C0-1ABB-4DBC-9D96-3C8E16B04EB2.jpeg
    520.1 KB · Views: 5
I’m doing okay so far, I still have eggs in the freezer. I do have a couple Plan Bs for if I run out: a couple family members that have 50-100 chickens.
I am so excited for Spring though.
I hope Spring comes soon!!

I’m doing okay so far, I still have eggs in the freezer. I do have a couple Plan Bs for if I run out: a couple family members that have 50-100 chickens.
I am so excited for Spring though.
I hope Spring comes soon!!
Wow that’s a lot of chickens! We 13 chickens and 12 ducks, but several of the ducks are males. Many of my neighbors have chickens also. So it’s feast or famine on our street 😂

I had to buy a few dozen, 2 days after I bought 2 dozen I finally started getting some in the coop on Jan 15. I use supplemental lighting tho so that helped.
Only had one new layer last year(mistake), and she went broody in Oct, I broke her but then she didn't lay again until Jan.

I have to buy my eggs in the shop now.
After the chickens molted (December) I made an extra light in the coop early mornings hoping ato get some eggs during winter. Until I noticed the light was so strong the automatic pop door to the run opened itself. And I don’t trust the safety of the run.
A weaker light doesn’t work well enough. Now I have only one chicken that is laying an egg every other day. 🤣

I have held out on buying eggs but I’m afraid we may have to now..almost all the birds, even the ducks, molted in the late fall. No eggs today and only one yesterday 😩. Maybe we will try adding just a couple of hours of light!

I got my last egg last fall on 19 Nov., then the pullets had a partial molt. Two of three started laying again on 20 Jan. I have bought my last dozen eggs from the store. Hubby can have those jumbo, tasteless eggs! I want my homegrown ones.

I also live in Rhode Island and have 23 Golden comets 7 months old that started laying on December 20 and i now get 20 to 22 eggs per day they are great layers, I also have 6 older Langshan hens that quit laying around October but are now laying 2 or 3 eggs per day, i will replace them with more Goldens in March, love them Goldens for egg laying.

I feel your pain! There are less than a dozen eggs in my house, which hasn't happened in ages. My isas are 2 now, so quit shortly after christmas. My September babies haven't started. My ee's always take any excuse to take a break and haven't laid a blue egg since October (why did I hatch more?!? I'm such a sucker for the fluffy cheeks!) I have 2 hens laying, and they're currently alternating days 🙄

I think I regret not lighting them this year!

Back
Top Bottom