Need ER advice. Chicken ate half an avocado skin...looks bad

basement chick

Songster
8 Years
May 20, 2015
North Carolina
Help anyone? I gave my chicken avocado and must have dropped the skin accidentally. I found it half eaten in the run and threw the rest out 2 days ago. I only have 2 chickens. I found one looking really bad this morning. She was beautiful yesterday. Now she is weak, puffed up, barely moving and comb shriveled. I have her in a cage with bedding next to the run with a warming mat under part of it as it is chilly today with water, a little wet food and banana. She did peck at the food and banana. I just read avocado skin is toxic! Any suggestions?

Get some activated charcoal immediately from the pharmacy aisle in the store. It comes in gel caps. Also grab a bottle of milk of magnesia. Pop two into her beak, one after the other, followed by a half tablespoon of the milk of magnesia. Then place her with plenty of fresh water. If she's too faded to drink on her own, you may need to syringe the fluids into her beak.

The activated charcoal and milk of magnesia will neutralize the toxin, and hopefully, your hen will recover if you've gotten this soon enough.

Get some activated charcoal immediately from the pharmacy aisle in the store. It comes in gel caps. Also grab a bottle of milk of magnesia. Pop two into her beak, one after the other, followed by a half tablespoon of the milk of magnesia. Then place her with plenty of fresh water. If she's too faded to drink on her own, you may need to syringe the fluids into her beak.

The activated charcoal and milk of magnesia will neutralize the toxin, and hopefully, your hen will recover if you've gotten this soon enough.
Oh my I will try. I am hour away from store. But I will go now and try. Dang it!!!!! Thank you

Sorry your bird is sick from the avacado......I didn't think an avacado was toxic to chickens. Good to know.....as I eat the inside and give the skins to my birds. Sometimes they eat them sometimes they don't . Tempermental!
I live in Canada where it is cooler and the scraps do not get warm or it is definitely not humid. I find that in collecting eggs, a clean dry coop with fresh air is manadatory. Perhaps cool dry non over-ripened food and a non - polluted environment is the part of the answer.

I did see that she was drinking water before I left. I got the activated charcoal capsules and milk of magnesia. Got home and saw the capsules were pretty large but I hid them inside a piece of banana and she gobbled them up. also just put the m.o.m. in a couple grape halves and she ate those too. She is looking better and perkier. I gave the ither chicken the same treatment just in case. They always eat what I give them so couldn't imagine she didn't grab some avocado skin too. Thanks for the quick responses! Fingers crossed but she looks better.

Back
Top Bottom