NEED GOAT HELP(please)

Jul 22, 2017
HELLO! I know that this website is for chickens , but we don't know what to do. One of our baby goats has been stepped on by a horse, and it's leg is broken. We have been bottle feeeding it for four days now and it is not accepting the bottle very well. It's leg we think is either minor sprained or broken and we don't know what to do. It can still walk it just hobbles. It is 10 days old. Please help :)

If the leg is actually broke it needs to be set by a vet.

What are you feeding it in the bottle, goat milk, cow milk, replacer? How old is it?

I've owned goats in the past, although I'm not an expert. You'll want to get its leg corrected soon so it can heal the right way. Luckily it's not bad and the goat is young.
Feel the whole leg gently and figure it which part is broken. You could also print a picture of goat leg bones to help you get an idea of the situation. Hopefully it's not broken out of place. If it is, you'll want to get a vet or if you think it's bad enough, humanely kill it. Although I don't think you'll want the latter option, if you're like me.
If it's broken but hasn't moved out of place, make a splint with a piece of wood and medical wrap stuff. Maybe wrap it once (tight enough to keep it in place but don't suffocate the leg) to keep it from getting irritated by the wood, then place the wood on the leg, and wrap it on. You could search up making goat splints and that will probably help.
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/how-to-splint-goat-legs-2/
Put the goat somewhere that it won't be tempted to use its leg too much or where other animals won't hurt it. Make sure it had access to its own food and water so it won't have to fight to get it.
Like I said, I'm really no expert so if someone needs to correct me, please do. I hope it all works out!

HELLO! I know that this website is for chickens , but we don't know what to do. One of our baby goats has been stepped on by a horse, and it's leg is broken. We have been bottle feeeding it for four days now and it is not accepting the bottle very well. It's leg we think is either minor sprained or broken and we don't know what to do. It can still walk it just hobbles. It is 10 days old. Please help :)
Perhaps my cousin Diana Chandler can help you - you can contact them through facebook at www.facebook.com/diana.k.steele

If the goat can hobble on the leg it is not broken. Even if it was, if the bones are aligned it will heal up just fine. Was this kid running on its mother before you tried to bottle feed it?

Just a recommendation... There ARE goat owners here, but you should consider joining the sister site www.backyardherds.com there are MANY active goat owners there and they will jump right in and try to help you. I own lamancha goats. What breed is yours?

From what you describe, I don't think the leg is broken... normally if it were, the kid would put no weight on it at all and would try to move as little as possible. That being said, if it is broken, depending where, you could set it and splint it yourself. If it's in/near a joint, getting vet assistance would probably be recommended, and saving the goat may not be possible.

At 10 days old, it's too late now but I hope it got mother's colostrum within 24 hours of birth. If it's been bottle fed since birth, it may not be taking the bottle now because it's in pain. Are you sure the leg is the only thing that got stepped on? Could there be internal injuries? Pictures would be a HUGE help.

Good luck and I hope you'll give us an update down the road when things settle out.

Back
Top Bottom