1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need hatching advice ASAP!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Angie Poo, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Angie Poo

Angie Poo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2013
    Parma, Idaho
    I ordered 30 coturnix quail eggs and set them in the bator 14 1/2 days ago. I let them sit for 12 hours before setting them. I left the turner off for the first 3 days. I am down to 14 that aren't quiters or clears. Most have good air cells and only a couple have saddle shapes ones.

So here's my question: for hatching do I take them out of the turners and place then on the wire or do I hatch them in cartons?

I really need help deciding as I don't want to screw this up!

2. htownfarmer

htownfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    Houston
    here is what i did/doing.
    i got 20 eggs on thursday, i let them set pointy side down, put in bator sunday 1am and started the turn operation.
    i figure the 26th is my lockdown day, should have hatching on the 29th.

on the 26th i will take them out of the tuner thing of a ma-jig-er and place on a mat surface.
    and wait and see what happens. it is my first time.
    some leave in cartons i think.

good luck

tim

EDIT coturnix quail eggs is what i have.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Angie, yes, you will need to take the eggs out out of the turner. I place rubbermaid shelf liner over top of the wire floor in the incubator, so the chicks will have a non-slip surface for their first steps.
    Good luck to both of you,
    James

4. Angie Poo

Angie Poo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2013
    Parma, Idaho
    Thank you for your help. I actually had a shelf liner and didn't even remember that I did lol I pulled them out of the turner and placed them on the liner. Sadly I didn't get to candle then before lock down since the bulb in my candler burnt out :( I guess I will just have to wait this out.

Here's the view in my incubator: [​IMG]

5. jsdobson

jsdobson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    Gray GA
    Htownfarmer what kind of eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by