Need hatching help!

gardenchic

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Kansas
Help! I have a banty hen sitting on 6 serama eggs. Yesterday was day 19 and around 2 pm I could hear one of them chirping then a few others started after that. I peeked before bed last night and one had finally pipped the shell. I was just sure that overight something else would happen but when I got up this morning everything looked exactly the same. It's going on 21 hours now. What should I do? How long should I let it go before I help a little? I've read that seramas sometimes need a little help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It can easily take that long from pip to hatch. If it were me I wouldn't do a thing. (I also wouldn't even look under the hen anymore, either! LOL)

That said, I have no idea about seramas, so maybe someone else will chime in if they do indeed need help.

Good luck & I hope everything goes well with the hatch!
fl.gif

5 of my 6 hatched...some with help. The poor little one that didn't make it was upside down in the shell. Everything looked completely normal and good otherwise. I'm guessing since the head was on the wrong end it couldnt get any air. So sad. It happened early morning otherwise I would've helped it too. The other 5 are thriving despite having a homicidal mama. I've had to take her out because she was attacking them and throwing them around.

I'm sorry about the one that didn't make it, but congrats on the rest! It's great to hear they're all doing great in spite of their rough start!

Back
Top Bottom