Need Help/Advice! Please Help My Hen!

Plastic tubing probably should be no more than one centimeter in diameter, and the syringe needs to be able to fit. For a bantam, probably one-fourth cup of liquid food per tubing. It does no harm for other chickens to drink sugar water occasionally.

Tubing for more than a day or two isn't advisable since a chicken can become dependent on the tube feeding and forget the feeling of hunger from an empty crop. Once she shows signs of gaining strength and wanting to eat on her own, stop the tube feeding.

Ah, I see. Good to know. Well, we'll hopefully be going to the vet on Tuesday, so it would just be for tomorrow.

Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate your help.

For the "liquid food" do you just mix the feed with water to make mash? If so, what proportions would you do? And 1/4 cup of food per feeding. How many feedings per day? If it makes any difference, she's not a really tiny bantam. If a class existed between large fowl and bantam I would classify her in there. Medium Fowl? Not sure if it's the weight that does it though, cause she's a lot taller/longer than my other bantams who are little round balls of feathers.

Also, how much of the Poultry cell could I safely give her?

When I am going to mix up some food to tube, I first take a look and feel of the chicken's crop to judge capacity. Most standard chickens can easily hold half a cup in their crops.

Then I mix up a slurry of warm water, raw egg, a little cereal such as cream of rice or baby cereal, Poultry Cell according to the dosing instructions. You can also get commercial baby food and it makes great tubing slurry.

The mixture has to be very liquid or it won't push through the syringe and tube. You may need to play with it a bit to get it the right consistency. Feed often enough to let the crop fill and empty, at least two times a day, three is better. It will depend on how much your patient will tolerate.

You are familiar with which side of the throat the esophagus is on?
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

It helps to wrap her securely in a towel so she's confined. This will relax her. Sometimes it's easier if you have a helper, though it's not necessary. I have everything set up and ready. Pry open the beak, the hardest part, slip a finger in to hold the beak open, and then feed the tube in along the chicken's right side of her throat, sliding slightly under the tongue to avoid the airway in the center of the throat. Extending her neck will make it easier to get the tube in. If she coughs, you are trying to put the tube into the wrong hole.

When the tube is in, close her beak. That will help hold the tube in place. Take it slowly. If she bucks and squirms, talk softly to her and wait until she settles down. No rush. Be gentle and easy. You don't want to create a fire hose effect with the syringe as it would be uncomfortable.

Feel the crop. Judge when it seems full and call it quits. Better to underfill than overfill.

Ok, first ever tube feeding complete!

She was so good. Only fought when I opened her beak. She didn't thrash around or anything when I was putting the tube in, and it went down super easily.

I gave 60 mL of a slurry made from 2 raw eggs, 3 mL Poultry Cell, 1/2 cup feed and 2 cups warm water. Put the rest in the fridge for later. Now I just have to heat it up without cooking the eggs...

Alright, we are back from the vet. It was like you thought azygous. She wasn't feeling well from all the antibiotics and was literally just starving herself. Vet gave us subcu fluids, dog/cat special food, and probiotics.

Thank you so much for your help earlier this week. I really think she wouldn't have made it without the tube feeding. I'm extremely grateful.

Back
Top Bottom