Need Help ASAP!! Daughter brought home 5 wild bunnies.

Thanks for the advice, I will contact our vet who sees ferrets, guinea pigs and rabbits and see what they say.

Putting the bunnies back is just not an option.

The goats milk is a great idea--we had 2 nannies that kidded yesterday. I am sure they could spare a little.

I will give it a try.

I knew about feeding on the back because our pet rabbits eat that way.

I would think they need to eat more than once a day--maybe???

Baby cottontails need a rehab pro they are very hard. You are setting yourself up for heartbreak trust me! In the wild they eat at dusk and dawn. I hope you make the RIGHT choice for the bunnies and turn them over to a rehab.
Best wishes to the bunnies

Get kitten milk at the store and an eye dropper. In about a week start giving them softened rabbit pellets, shredded carrots and even some mixed leaf from the store (the package that has lettuce spinache, etc in it). You can add a heating pad underneath them, on low and a towel folded in quarters on top of it. It just helps with warmth, especially since mommy is not on top of them. At night cover them with the rabbit fur and place a towel on top of it (hand towel would be sufficient. Also make sure you warm the milk with hot water 2/3s milk 1/3 hot water.

Quote:
Sorry i didnt mean to sound preachy but after watching soo many babies pass .. I just try to save folks the heartache... I really hope you have better luck then I did.. Please keep us posted... And know that I meant no disrespect...

Quote:
I totally understand how it is not an option to put them back. If they are clearing and burning it then the Mom and Dad if still alive probably won't come back there. You would be putting them out to die. I sure hope it all works out for you. Best of luck.

found this on a website.
Sometimes things don't go as they should, and your doe may die. You may have to foster your bunnies if you have another doe which has kindled on the same day. To do this, rub the doe's nose in vanilla extract and put the bunnies in the nest. Usually, the doe will not notice anything amiss, but if she does, she may try to kill the bunnies or just refuse to feed them. If this happens, remove the bunnies immediately, and feed them by hand. Here is a recipe for the ‘milk’ that you should use.

1 pint skim milk

2 egg yolks

2 tbsp Karo syrup

one tbsp bone meal

Feed this to the bunnies with an eyedropper until they are full (usually they eat 5-7 ccs).

Baby Bunnies also need Caecotropes. What are Caecotropes you ask? It is fancy bunny poop provided by the momma that provides necessary bacteria to prevent diarrhea. The mother usually produces it in the morning or night, leaves it around the nest and the babies eat it. It looks different than the normal bunny poo....kinda pasty looking and sometimes joined together like a grape cluster. Their chances for survival are greatly enhanced if you can find some. Ask around....if someone you know has a pet bunny, they will know exactly what I am talking about.

First of all NEVER pit a wild rabbit with your domestic ones, parasite load and disease are not an option for any herd.
That said.
baby wild rabbits do not do well in captivvity one out of every 100 might survive but the odds are against it.
bottle feeding wild rabbits only makes them asperate the formular,(ie: breating it into the lungs) quickly causeing them to die of phneumonia.
wild Life Rehab will likely tell you No they wont take it and to put it back
where putting them back is not an option they will tell you to humanely put them down.
sorry chances of survival are slim for wild rabbits.

Back
Top Bottom