Need help asap

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blessedmamato3, Jul 25, 2011.

1. blessedmamato3

blessedmamato3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    We made a brooder for outside. It's very well ventilated and on our covered deck, so they are fully shaded. The chicks are almost 2 weeks old and panting badly. Can I put wet sand in there, so they can cool off or would they eat it? I've tried jugs of water, but they avoid them. What can I do?

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    As someone who just lost two chicks today to the awful heat, may I suggest a small fan blowing on low? That's the only option I could think of for myself.

3. blessedmamato3

Jul 11, 2011
    I should mention that it's 104 degrees.

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Is it possible to bring them inside until the weather breaks? Or at least during the hottest part of the day? That's the only thing that I can think of besides the fan...but hot air blowing on them is not likely to cool them down much....just a thought!

I have read that people use sand in brooders all the time and the chicks can eat it just like small grit...I don't think I would wet it though...doesn't sound too healthy for 2 week olds.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  5. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    I freeze 2 liters, water bottles anything that I can freeze water in. I put them around the coop and it's a mini air conditioner. I even have a fan blow in the ice to spread the coolness and that seems to work for all the chicks and chickens.

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I would think wet sand would be ok. I would leave the ice bottles in their so it will help cool the air around them. You can also place shallow dishes of cool water for them to stand in. You can also put ice cubes in their waterers. If all else fails bring them inside!

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Sand is good for them to eat. You will need to figure something out, I'm sure the brooder is much warmer on the inside then outside. Perhaps you could bring them inside or relocate the brooder in shade. A fan would help too. Frozen ice blocks inside the brooder would help, but they melt fast. Good luck.

8. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i bring mine in if it reaches 80+ they melt outside!!!

9. blessedmamato3

Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks, all!

They are in the shade. They are under a 30x20 foot deck. The brooder is almost completely open, as I used hardware cloth for "windows". I have OSB on the ends and on 2 of the back windows. The other 4 windows are wire. I'll be replacing the two back ones with wire as soon as I can afford to buy more.

I put ice in their waterers, a fan on them and a bird bath or sorts. I'll start freezing some bottles.

They were in the garage and it was just as hot in there, but they were in a box with just the open top for ventilation. I thought they would do a ton better in here. I don't get it.

10. blessedmamato3

Jul 11, 2011
    I forgot to ask...

If I put wet sand in there (the water will evaporate slower), could they eat too much and have it hurt them? I feed them a mash, if that matters.

The bird bath was a hit! However, I need to find something bigger, as they may kill each other to all fit in lol.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by