latebloomer

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
green mountain state
hi

i have a chick that was born this morning that can't stand

at first it seemed the problem was his toes were curled up

i put band-aids (adhesive part) at top and bottom and now the toes are in the right position

but he still can't stand.

i have the band-aids around his legs as if he has spraddle leg, but i'm not sure if that's what the issue is. he's still not able to stand.

any thoughts from those with experience?

i also have a chick that hasn't hatched yet that i think may have a deformed beak, i'm not positive on that, but if so, i'll have to cull him, right. this sucks.

oh, except for the fourteen healthy happy chicks, those guys are great.

any advice you can give will be appreciated.

Last edited:
There is a condition called spraddle leg, but I am not sure if they can actually hatch out with it. My understanding was that it happens after hatching mostly because they are on a slippery surface. I would make sure that it is warm, getting enough water, vitamins, food etc. For the chick with the deformed beak, I would wait and see first to see if it can eat and drink. I know that some people have chickens with scissor beaking that are happy and healthy. Of course you have to have special considerations with that like feeding from a higher place not the ground.

I am sure someone with more experience will chime in soon.

well the one with that was deformed was really not good, i let him go on to a better place

the one with the leg trouble has a golden sunshiny color to him, so i'm calling him ray

and he seems to be doing better.

i periodically put him in a really small cup so that he's forced to stand on his legs.

i'm hoping for the best.

Ray has made a full recovery.

If not for the small pieces of band-aids left on his legs, I wouldn't be able to tell him apart from the others.

Here he is in his food dish you can see the band-aids. Ray is the light colored one on the left.

79557_ray.jpg

Last edited:
What you have there is a normal chick, from start to brooder. It takes alot of work for a chick to hatch and they do not come out with perfect feet. In fact they come out curled up. I don't worry about mine until it has been 72 hours and it still can't stand.

Back
Top Bottom