Need help chicken/turkey Lice/mites

Bcoz18

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Saint Charles Missouri
I've read a number of post about chicken lice and mites... a lot are suggestions but never know if they work. I need to know what has worked for you 100%..
This is what ive tried and has not worked.
I've tried 10% permethrin and dipped all the chickens and turkeys as stated in the instructions.
I've done that twice

I'm going to clean out coop again and have nothing in there and clean out and put hot hot Walter down the cracks.. they have a outside run that isn't covered so when it rains it gets all wet and muddy could that have something to do with the lice and mites not leaving? It doesn't rain much here but it's normally dry and they do dust bathe in natural dirt!

I need something that works asap!

I will be getting lime stuff to put everywhere.

I use Sevin 5. I mix it with fine sand for a dust bath, sprinkled liberally in nest boxes and on eggs being brooded, on chicks/poults of any age, on perches, on coop floors, and anywhere else mites and lice could be hiding. It is effective and safe for the birds. I know people that use it with their canaries.

I've read a number of post about chicken lice and mites... a lot are suggestions but never know if they work. I need to know what has worked for you 100%..
This is what ive tried and has not worked.
I've tried 10% permethrin and dipped all the chickens and turkeys as stated in the instructions.
I've done that twice
Permethrin worked extremely well for me (100%).. with just a few spritz in specific locations on the birds (dip NOT required) AND also on the premises. It's even what the termite professionals use (permethrin PFR, with instructions to dilute to the same levels recommended for use on birds.)

It will NOT eliminate any left behind nits and even if those nits (eggs) are dead they still stay stuck on the feathers until molted out.

I'd skip the hot water personally. And apply the permethrin.

Still with the wildlife load I have and free ranging, my birds must be checked monthly regardless and treated when symptoms reappear. Sometimes that's a couple times per year while other years is not at all.
they have a outside run that isn't covered so when it rains it gets all wet and muddy could that have something to do with the lice and mites not leaving?
Not fully will it have anything to do with the bugs not being eliminated. Mud sucks and bare dirt is a breeding ground for bad stuff (bacteria). Adding in some large particle stuff like wood chips, dry leaves, grass clippings, etc.. invites good bugs and bacteria to the party to help balance things.. think forest floor..

Sevin is a brand name carbaryl is the pesticide.. I agree it should be very effective.. I don't think it's labeled for use in chickens and I'm pretty sure it's been outlawed here in California. I don't like anything in dust form but I do see it available in spray form also.

Many folks swear by elector PSP. Price prevents some folks from using or suggesting it.

Back
Top Bottom