1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help Choosing a Breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lasasj, Feb 9, 2013.

1. lasasj

lasasj Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    Hello everybody!

My wife and I live on a small farm in Greenville NY. We're working on building a few things for chickens this spring and are currently researching breeds. The house we bought use to be a hatchery back in the 20s - 50s, so there are lots of different types of chicken equipment/supplies all over the property.

We're looking for a good egg laying breed that will be ok in our climate. There are a few breeds that seemed appealing to us when we were researching, but I'd like some input from members of BYC if you care to share... especially if you live in upstate NY or are familiar with the climate. Ultimately we'll probably have more than one breed, but please share your experiences and the pros/cons of breeds.

Thanks !!!

2. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    The plymouth rocks are prolific egg layers and a very hardy breed. Wyandottes in my opinion are the prettiest chook and can come in many different colours and lacing. They are very hardy birds to disease and the such, and lay nice big eggs! good luck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by