need help choosing

Heathero617

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Mosheim
I'm goin to ATTEMPT a "controlled" hatching >incubator< I'm torn between the Austrolop, the Maran, and the Wellsummer. I have a mixed flock right now with most of them being about 7 or 8 weeks old. 2 are nearly 2 year old black silkies. I'm currently observing the young birds to figure out who is going to a new home and who isnt due to bulliness. I have 2 red sexlink girls, 3 white rocks, 3 dominiques and 2 little teeny cochins >those are the kids' babys so they are staying< My favorite chicken was an Austrolop named Elvis who was caught by a neighborhood stray at the end of the winter. I just can't decide what type of eggs to order to attempt my first go 'round with. Anyone have any extra insight about which of the 3 breeds will play well with my mixed bad already here? Thanks much in advance.

I'm using an incubator for the first time too
smile.png
. A Hova Bator by Genesis with an auto egg turner. After a lot of research, I deemed this model foolproof. WRONG!

After 4 days I determined that the turner wasn't working. DH *fixed* it and 3 days later, it still wasn't working. Now it's running fine, but having a difficult time keeping the humidity right (I'm in CA with very little natural humidity in the air). So I'm now at day 9. I've candled (for the first time) and have thrown 8 out so far - out of 24 eggs. And I think there are more that need to go. I'll probably be lucky to get any to hatch
hmm.png

I would suggest that your first batch is a "trial" batch. Don't spend alot of money on eggs. Get some that are local and cheap. What kind of incubator are you getting/do you have? Or are you making one? Will you be hand turning? For what it's worth, I think incubating is an aquired skill
fl.gif

Last edited:
Agreed, I have a full incubator at 48 eggs... They were given to me by another local BYCer that has maxed out all of theirs (hundreds)... I'd much rather learn this with freebies than pay $20+ for a dozen and foul up! This should be a great learning experience!

I've been searching for locals but no one is responding to my questions/requests. I'm more than willing to go pick up and pay a small fee, but I agree, I dont want to pay a ton of money for a trial run. I've decided to make an incubator for myself. I REALLY just want to go through the expierence with my kids once, so i'm not willing to buy a new incubator for one chick!! LOL But i'm figuring, if i get hatches, i'd like for them to be compatable with what i've got so far. My Austrolop who was caught by a dog followed us around and would try to come in the house. He was more than personable. But really, i'm not super choosey as i could attempt to find it a new home if it didnt work out.

Have you tried looking on Craig's List? What about your local farmer's market? I met one person on freecycle although my intent was to give away an item I had on hand - you just never know. What about your local feed stores? I've found them helpful as well!

Quote:
Yeah, i've tried craigslist, freecycle, my local swap/sale forum, tsc bulliten board...just doesnt seem anyone in the immedeate >however it's spelled, i give up< area has eggs or at least doesnt want to let me >a yankee< know LOL

Back
Top Bottom