need help convincing dh

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
My husband has cut me off at non-productive animals. In other words, I can have whatever I want and can care for as long as it contributes to the household. I'm trying to think of a good argument for button quail since my kids think they're adorable. Got any tips? I'm assuming they're too small to be used either for meat or eggs.

You could sell your extras. People get good money for them at the poultry auction here. I've seen them go for $6 here. Check out Craigs list and the local poultry/exotic auction to see what the prices are. People buy them as a novelty and as snake food.

Quote:
LOL! Extras would be all of them if I don't have a good reason for them. But as for the rest, I have only seen one or two ads for quail and it (they?) were coturnix, not button. I don't think they're popular around here.

I thought they were cute too but i bet your kids get quickly bored by them. They are so skittish they are just something to look at in the cage, cant really pick up and hold. For me they were just poop machines that i had to clean all the time, they were really loud even in the middle of the night (i only had one pair) and they couldnt go outside except in the summer... and i live in a mild climate! I think if i ever had an aviary.. i'd consider them for the floor in that but as just a pet in the house... I'd rather have a pair of coturnix, they are much friendly, can be handled and the eggs are a little bigger for eating and the birds can be eaten too. Just my 2cents.
wink.png

nancy

tongue2.gif
You can eat there eggs you know
And Im shure you could eat them lol
duc.gif

you can sale there eggs as hatching eggs
thumbsup.gif

Could you imagine if you could have the patiencte to do it but makeing deviled eggs out of button quail eggs
yippiechickie.gif

I've been waiting for production to pick up so that I could make pickled eggs out of them. How cute would that be?
Plus, you can sell hatching eggs, sell chicks or adult pairs. Snake food is a pretty big one, you could end up with customers who purchase them for this reason, but I wouldn't tell the kids that, lol. Cages can be made super inexpensively with tupperware containers, hot glue and some window screen.

That is actually the most helpful post about buttons I've read since the beginning (months ago). If they're that skittish, I have no use for them, since I don't want to gamble on being able to find buyers. They weren't going to be indoor pets but that's not relevant... I was hoping to have something a little more like a mini coturnix. Thanks!!!

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom