Need Help determining gender of Easter Egger!

Um, not exactly male-only. It is certainly more common in males, but happens in some hens too. For an example of red in the shoulders of hens, I suggest looking at photos of Red Shouldered White Yokohamas. (A google image search, or a look at hatchery photos, will usually turn up plenty of examples.)

That is almost exactly what I was thinking.

In this case, I am thinking the bird might be female, but I am not certain. It could still be a male and just not obvious to me yet.

Points in favor of the bird being female:
--the comb looks small (even for a pea comb), and not a very bright red.
--I do not see any pointy male saddle feathers.
--the color in the shoulders looks about the same as the color in several other places, including part of the breast, so it could just be part of the color pattern of that individual bird.

On the other hand, a slow-maturing male would also have the small comb, pale comb, and no pointy saddle feathers yet. And the color in the wings could be the red that often appears in a male.

I notice that the tail feathers stand up tall and curver over at the end, but I have seen that in plenty of female and male Easter Eggers, so I do not consider it helpful in telling their gender.
Thank you! We do have a EE that is almost the same exact colors, she just doesn't have a gray head.

Back
Top Bottom