Need help diagnosing mass embryo death

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cyprus, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Hello everyone!
    I've got something strange going on that I haven't been able to diagnose myself, so I am asking for your help.
    I had set 16 eggs that were due this Friday. All but 3 came from my own female. Just one female. So yes, I know several were older than ideal for hatching. I expected maybe 7 at most to make it to lockdown.
    All 3 eggs that weren't mine died before day 12. They came from the flock that my own pair originated from. One had a cracked shell, which I taped and tried to hatch but it didn't develop. One had literally no air cell, but developed until about day 11. The other didn't develop at all.

Of my eggs, the ones older than 10 days were clears as was to be expected. That left me with 9 eggs. Then a few days later 6 more had died. And just yesterday, day 17, I lost another. So I have 2 viable eggs left. This incubator is at proper temperature, dry hatch at 23%(+/-)RH and has had 3 successful hatches before.

Even stranger is that the week before I set these, I sold 7 eggs from the pullet with the freshest being 1 day old and oldest being 9 days old. The eggs were not shipped, direct pickup. Report came back that 3 had early deaths, and by second candling (I presume day 18) 3 more were dead. 3 hatched.

So does this sound like a diet issue or something else? Pullet is 9ish months old and been laying for 2 months. She is fed Purina Gamebird Chow. Not been medicated for anything.

Previous hatches from her (counting only viable eggs) were 75%, 57% and 33% so a noticeable decrease in hatch rate as time went on.

Thanks for reading, if I need to clarify something please ask.

EggWalrus and HuffleClaw like this.
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It's a mystery. This year I had more eggs than usual not hatch. We had some really hot days earlier this year. Not sure if it was the heat here but in the past I have noticed a decline in the hatch rate when it was hot out. Also I had a better hatch rate out of my older females than from my younger females. Hopefully someone may have better ideas. Good luck and have fun...

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Wow, she's only been laying for 2 months and you've already ran 4 hatches!

Purina makes several game bird chow formulations... which one are you using, the protein %?

Starting on page 52 of the following link is where hatch failure diagnosis start with reasons given for exactly which days they quit on...
    Incubation guide

My favorite supplement for hatching is Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell (product). Would love to see your difference reported if you try it about two weeks before setting eggs! One of my hens WAS throwing deficient eggs (for hatching) despite using 20% protein flock raiser not diminished by low nutrient treats... according to my hatch analysis.

It's SOOO crazy that each hatch can be different from the same birds with the same feed in the same bator and so on... :barnie

sourland, EggWalrus and HuffleClaw like this.
  4. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Staggered hatches, that's how I've had 4 hatches already. That and I'm counting the one from the sold eggs.

I think I have that product already, I'll have to look. 30% protein feed. I do now realize that I had the best hatch rate when she was being supplemented with CalfManna...

5. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted to Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    This happened with my duck eggs. 8 set from one female, all fertile, all made it to day 25, but only 2 hatched. The rest died between lockdown and hatch day. :confused:

BirdsBeesTrees, EggWalrus and Cyprus like this.
  6. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    What do you feed?
    Dangit, I wish I had saved old feed bags! I'm beginning to suspect that there may have been some federal change in laws regarding what goes into poultry feed, and that the change in formulas may be the cause.

I read somewhere that it's happened before. The government made it illegal to use animal protein in poultry feed after the Mad Cow Disease outbreak and right away farmers started to notice decreased hatch and growth rates.

7. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted to Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    I feed all-flock to my ducks. I have free-choice oyster shells in a separate container. Plus they free range.

EggWalrus likes this.
  8. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Thanks for the information!
    I just set several more of her eggs, so I guess I'll see what happens :idunno

9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hmm...I'm thinking something isn't right with the temperature and humidity more than breeding issues..

sourland, EggWalrus and HuffleClaw like this.
  10. Cyprus

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Really? I hatched some with shipped eggs and the shipped eggs did just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: