Need help diagnosing mass embryo death

The goal is to get more females and some frizzles out of this.
Ideally, I would have used Japanese Bantams but since people aren't selling them anywhere on this big blue planet, Seramas were the second best option.

As far as I'm concerned... hiccups in the reproductive system just starting up are way too common.. I don't even hatch pullet eggs. :confused:

But I love a good mystery! :pop

Ugh... bad attitudes breed forward. :smack

Happy hatching and thanks for sharing! :fl:jumpy:jumpy

ETA: I personally think the 30% Purina is one of the best feeds available. I have used it on occasion in the past and recently switched from the 20% flock raiser since I am raising turkeys also. If you aren't diminishing that with treats your feed should NOT be the problem. Now I'm especially intrigued!

ETAA: too many details swimming around in my head... gotta read from the beginning again! :oops:

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned... hiccups in the reproductive system just starting up are way too common.. I don't even hatch pullet eggs. :confused:

But I love a good mystery! :pop

Ugh... bad attitudes breed forward. :smack

Happy hatching and thanks for sharing! :fl:jumpy:jumpy

ETA: I personally think the 30% Purina is one of the best feeds available. I have used it on occasion in the past and recently switched from the 20% flock raiser since I am raising turkeys also. If you aren't diminishing that with treats your feed should NOT be the problem. Now I'm especially intrigued!
Yeah, all they get is the feed. They're on concrete. They don't get anything but what I give them.

I wonder if you accidently dropped the lid? Causing the setting/calibration to get screwed up

Or if a bacteria has taken up home
My backup thermometer is reading 99°F.

Bacteria is a possibility, one egg may have gone bad. I'll disinfect it tomorrow.

@Cyprus most of my hatch this year were pullet eggs only two were from mature hens.
Six faverolles eggs, five made it and a SS fav mix.
The only special thing I did was feed the pullets a boiled egg daily for two weeks before gathering.
No idea if it is the protein, fat or a trace vitamin or mineral in the eggs that got me a decent hatch rate but something in there agreed with the girls.

@Cyprus most of my hatch this year were pullet eggs only two were from mature hens.
Six faverolles eggs, five made it and a SS fav mix.
The only special thing I did was feed the pullets a boiled egg daily for two weeks before gathering.
No idea if it is the protein, fat or a trace vitamin or mineral in the eggs that got me a decent hatch rate but something in there agreed with the girls.
Suppose I can boil an egg tomorrow and see what they think of it! :)

Can't hurt, the eggs I used were super small so I was grasping at straws to at least have a few hatch. Were you serious, nobody has any Japanese bantams for sale?
Swear earlier this year everybody had them, a lot of them wern't very pretty though but they were around.
Suppose I can boil an egg tomorrow and see what they think of it! :)

Back
Top Bottom