Need Help Finding the Right Breed

Chickiima

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 6, 2015
After all this winter weather has subsided, I'd like to get a coop up and running with some hens.. One thing, though... Kentucky is prone to some pretty crazy weather.... I'm not too chicken savvy, so I'm hoping someone could help me.

I'd prefer these hens to be mostly outside, so there are a few things I need to take into consideration. I'd also like these hens to be good, productive egg layers. So, here we go... In Kentucky, we could have weather as cold as the single digits, or worse.. and as warm as over 100F... So I'd need a hen that is both cold and warm weather hardy, if possible...

I would also prefer a breed that is at least out going, and is maybe exotic? I know that may be stretching it, but just thought I'd throw that out there. I do love beautiful appearing chickens, and the kind of chickens I find to have the most striking characteristics, plumage, etc would be breeds like the Spitzhauben, Barnevelder, Olandsk Dwarf, Barred Rocks, Laced Wyandottes(especially Blue Laced Red), Orust, Swedish Flower, Andalusians, and Egyptian Fayoumis to give you all an idea.

Sorry for being so picky, lol, I would just like to have the option of both beauty and functionality, if at all possible.

Last edited:
I contacted McMurray hatchery (they ship chicks), they recommended Dominiques, cuckoo maran, and a few others. Good temperament and layers, I think they're beautiful, but maybe not as exotic as you want? I'm in Ky as well, they told me that we have a good climate for most chickens :)

Good luck! I get mine 4/6.

Cuckoo Maran was one I looked at, and one that Southern States (at least, in Lexington) seems to carry from time to time. I have dealt with McMurray for my geese, nothing but good experiences.

Back
Top Bottom