Need Help Identifying baby chicks from TSC

Pazkez710

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Can anyone help identity these chicks sold as Red Pullets at TSC?

I have 6. I was told I have one RIR and the rest are Leghorns. But as new as I am to this, going to TSC, being my first mistake, I have since done a lot of research and I am not so sure. I would greatly appreciate ANY input! LOL I have since ordered 5 other chicks coming from a local reputable retailer (2 black Australorps, a Buff Orpington, a Dominique and a Buttercup) to complete the flock, but would REALLY like to know what I have. Golden comet? New Hampshire? Production? Leghorn? I just have no idea! It's driving me nuts! :/

Can anyone help identity these chicks sold as Red Pullets at TSC?

I have 6. I was told I have one RIR and the rest are Leghorns. But as new as I am to this, going to TSC, being my first mistake, I have since done a lot of research and I am not so sure. I would greatly appreciate ANY input! LOL I have since ordered 5 other chicks coming from a local reputable retailer (2 black Australorps, a Buff Orpington, a Dominique and a Buttercup) to complete the flock, but would REALLY like to know what I have. Golden comet? New Hampshire? Production? Leghorn? I just have no idea! It's driving me nuts! :/

Hello and Welcome to BYC.

The first picture with the chick on right could be a leghorn, hard to see. The rest are exactly what you said. Most likely hatchery RIR, production reds, comets, etc. they are all the same. They are meant to produce a lot of eggs.
Good luck in raising your new chicks.

It's pretty much impossible to tell the difference in all the "Reds" by appearance as chicks. When they've grown quite a bit, it might be easier to judge. (RIR should be darker red, Production Reds have black in tails, RSL/Comets/Queens/etc have white in tails, etc..)

:welcome, by the way, and to the wonderful world of chickens! You may find that your flock will never be complete and that these fine feathered friends are highly addictive. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you so much! The one of the two of them together is my lightest and darkest. The one on the right also has brown strips( or red?) down her back also but is still very light. I noticed some brown on her feathers today. Very faint. How old do they look in the pictures? Those were taken last Wednesday and Thursday.
And BTW, I am already addicted and can't wait to pick up my new ones today!

I agree with the RIR's should be darker red...even hatchery ones...I have 5 now and they were darker red at one day old...I the years I never have gotton leghorns ...

Back
Top Bottom