Need help Identifying Bantam chicks!

osukrazykate

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Not too far from Keystone
I need help identifying what type of Bantams I might have, they came from the feed store and they were called a Bantam Special from Ideal Poultry. Apparently, they are a mixture of purebred bantams.

1. This first one is mostly black w/ pale yellow on the face. (This one turned out to be a black Cochin)
27631_img_2606.jpg

27631_img_2584.jpg

27631_img_2563.jpg

2. This one is kind of a gray with maybe a hint of blue, but really fluffy and so cute! (This one turned out to be a Blue Cochin)
27631_img_2593.jpg

27631_img_2588.jpg

27631_img_2585.jpg

What are you looking at me? Yeah, I know I am beautiful and a ham for the cam, oh wait I am a chick for the cam.
27631_img_2643.jpg

3. I have a couple like this type, sort of brownish and the wings are very interesting. (These turned out to be MF D'Uccle)
27631_img_2636.jpg

27631_img_2626.jpg

27631_img_2577.jpg

The one sleeping behind MF D'Uccle turned out to be a Porcelain D'Uccle

4. This one is red, but it seems a little more ruffled I am hoping it is something like a frizzle, but I am so new at this. (This one turned out to be a Red Frizzled Cochin)
27631_img_2641.jpg

27631_img_2634.jpg

27631_img_2611.jpg

5. Then I have these two very interesting ones, they are gray and yellowish on their heads, one is actually a little more reddish yellow on its head. It seems that their bodies are kind of gray with a yellowish overcoat or something. (I believe these two turned out to be White Cochins)
27631_img_2632.jpg

27631_img_2628.jpg

27631_img_2594.jpg

Now here is one of my Americauna chicks, this one is so super fluffy and a pretty yellow.
27631_img_2624.jpg

And here he is poking his head out of the cuddle.
27631_img_2645.jpg

From looking around on the web, I am thinking that maybe #3 and #5 are some sort of Mille Fleur chicks, but I am not certain.

Last edited:
Quote:
So do you think that #2 is a Blue/Black Cochin? And maybe #1 a Partridge/Mottled Cochin? These are two possibilities I came up with last night, when I stayed up past 3am and fell asleep on my laptop looking at chic pics, trying to figure them all out, hehehehe. Can we say addiction has set in here?

Quote:
Thank you so much for your help! I love your buff silkie, I believe that is what is in your avatar pic. I have ordered 12 silkies and 3 frizzles, but won't get them til the end of this month. I couldn't wait for them to come in, I was itching so bad to have some babies and in time for easter surprise for the kiddos to help and enjoy raising. I was up late late last night trying to figure out what type of bantams I had hand picked from the feed store. I had come to think that 1 and 2 are possibly Cochins, but I am so new at this and sometimes it is hard to tell exactly from pics on the web when being so new to identifying the breeds of chicks. Do you have any experience with D'Uccles? I am thinking that perhaps #3 and #5 are maybe D'Uccles.

Oh Thank you JulieChick, I am so excited. I really like the D'Uccles too. They are so pretty! Do you know what type of D' Uccles they might be? I have started a daily journal of their descriptions and such and going to progress their growth and changes. I am so excited for them to grow. Today is day two since I brought home our new babies and I passed two different feed stores today and fought the urge to get more, LOL! They are so cute and bring a huge smile to my face!

Last edited:
It looks like you have:

1. Black or Birchen Cochin

2. Blue Cochin

3. Mille Fleur d'Uccles - the last one in this set of pics w/ eyes closed next to the MF d'Uccle is a Porcelain d'Uccle

4. Cute, but no idea. Probably a red smooth or frizzle Cochin if it has feathered legs.

5. White or Splash Cochins

Quote:
Oh thank you for your insight, I greatly appreciate everyones help! So the last pic for #3 with the eyes closed is a possibly a Porcelain. Now it is really similar to the ones from #5 that particular one though has a little more red on the head than my other two that look just like it. All of the bantams I picked out have the feathered legs, I guess I should have mentioned that to make it a little easier. I really like the feathered leg chickens, kind of a fancy looking bird. I actually have two more red ones like #4, but they feathers don't seem as ruffled as #4. #4 just seems to have a little bit of ruffle or curl to some of the down, otherwise she seems very similar to the other 2 that are also her color.

Back
Top Bottom