Need help identifying # of day for chicken egg (Incubating)

I don't know about the incubator you bought. What is your humidity? Your temp seems ok. If the temperature ran a little high the chicks can hatch a day or two early and if it's low a day or two late. Have you calibrated your thermometers. Also the hygrometer could be off a little. If you incubate at too high of humidity that can affect the hatch. Lower humidity is good for incubation because the eggs need to loose some moisture during incubation. I have had successful hatches in an homemade incubator I made with a styrofoam cooler. Please give up a progress update. Good luck and have fun...

@cmon, I did calibrate hygrometers for humidity using the salt/water bag method. Since transferring egg to new incubator (Magicfly/Janoel12), the temp has been running between 99.5 and has went up to 101 and the humidity has been fluctuating between 45-60%- trying to keep humidity right at 50% and temp 99.5-99.9. There’s so many recommendations out there so I tried to go somewhere in between. Not sure if I’m doing it right...

I incubate my eggs at around 35% and on day 18/19 kick the humidity up to around 70/75%. That is where I have had my most successful hatches. If the humidity run too high, when the chicks internally pip they can drown because condensation can build up in the air cell. Good luck and have fun...

Thank you @cmon! And temp sounds okay and should it be higher for last 3 days?

You sound spot on to me. Excepting the last 3 days, then give humidity a bump to 70% ish, but I do not have your knowledge.

That is kind of you to say @AllenK RGV! I am brand new to all of this and just going by the various and endless articles/posts so I can learn and hopefully hatch this last egg successfully- fingers crossed...

That is kind of you to say @AllenK RGV! I am brand new to all of this and just going by the various and endless articles/posts so I can learn and hopefully hatch this last egg successfully- fingers crossed...
Equally kind of you sir. I have incubator fails as well. My last one is due to the USPS breaking an egg over all of the rest. I really do hope you have your Silke Roo genetics back in your flock by spring!

Are you positive the others were quitters? I mark my eggs that I think are quitters (X). I had this happen one other time. I put some eggs in an open egg carton and left them. The room the hatcher was in was quite warm. I heard peeping when I went into the room and checked the hatcher and realized the peeping was coming from behind me. The eggs I had thought were quitters hatched in the egg carton.
IMG_20160415_132618.jpg

Are you positive the others were quitters? I mark my eggs that I think are quitters (X). I had this happen one other time. I put some eggs in an open egg carton and left them. The room the hatcher was in was quite warm. I heard peeping when I went into the room and checked the hatcher and realized the peeping was coming from behind me. The eggs I had thought were quitters hatched in the egg carton.
View attachment 1933476

@cmon, Wow! That is so amazing! I was pretty confident in the quitters from my research: blood rings, leaking, odors, shrink wrapped embryos and this was prior to incubator arriving. I first had eggs in a box with a bulb/water and I could not regulate temp or humidity. I held on to the eggs I thought to be quitters for over a week and then became worried when there was one survivor remaining; didn’t want to compromise anything. The foul odor was very strong at the time I decided to call quits on the others.

It the egg stinks it probably is a quitter. I just hate to give up unless I'm 100% sure. A stinky egg, blood rings, leaking is a sure quitter. Any unhatched eggs I usually leave in the hatcher until day 25 and have had a hatch at day 25 for whatever reason. I hope your chick hatches. Again good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom