Need help identifying # of day for chicken egg (Incubating)

Actually, my apologies to @Pyxis, I think I should have said she is THE incubating expert here... I am still learning who's who around here *blush*.

@HayHayComet, @Pyxis has written a very thorough and helpful article on hatching, complete with pictures, that you will no doubt find helpful. I'm sure she'll post the link for you, I'm not computer-savvy enough to do it.

Haha, no need to apologize! There are several members here who are very well-versed in hatching :)

I'll have to take a look at the pictures when I get home since I can't see much on my phone, but here are those articles:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/development-of-a-chicken-embryo-day-by-day.72537/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-beginners-guide-to-incubation.73350/

Hello All!

I am new to Backyardchickens as well as to owning/raising a flock of chickens. A couple of weeks ago, our Silkie Roo was killed by a hawk. In an attempt to carry on his legacy and have a piece of him still with is, we are hatching some eggs. We are down to one survivor, who I believe is doing well. I set egg on 9/24. According to what I’ve read, we should be on day 19. Although there is some great information regarding hatching/incubation/candling, etc. I am having trouble identifying what day, according to many charts/pics of embryo development, this egg actually is. I started the eggs in a homemade still air incubator with a bulb and water to create humidity. I then ordered an incubator (Magicfly), when most eggs were ceasing mid-development, approx. 10 days in This last surviving egg has been holding on and we’re determined to do everything we can to have a successful hatch! It did have some damage from what looks to be a hen peck to the air cell end of the egg. I applied plain candle wax in attempt to repair, which seems to have helped, since the damage appears to have expanded but stayed intact. Incubator has been set between 99.5-101 degrees Fahrenheit and between 45-55% humidity. Have had difficulty regulating temp/humidity throughout. I have placed 3 devices (gauge, probe, digital) temp and hygrometers because I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m still learning but I just feel like the development does not appear to be appropriate in size for being day 19; seems too small? I would greatly appreciate advice regarding:
1. Approximate # of day this egg may be? (according to development seen in pics/video).
2. Is air cell appropriate size for # of day? What is needed to encourage air cell growth.
3. Should I be leaving wax on damaged part to the end or remove when egg goes into lockdown? It’s a very light layer.
4. Appropriate temp/humidity up until lockdown and last 3 days of incubation.
Thank you all in advance and I look forward to learning and sharing to come!!!

UPDATE:
Still not quite sure what day we’re on here. As I mentioned before, I believe starting incubation in a homemade incubator with unregulated temp/humidity, then moving to auto incubator may have delayed development. This egg was set late in the day on 9/24 and moved to auto incubator on 10/4. But I am very pleased to see movement and big veins. If anyone has advice regarding what day this chick may be and if everything looks appropriate/healthy in new pics- I would be so grateful! I will do anything to help this chick hatch successfully! Thank you all.

Attachments

• 8D8312F4-B195-4B51-A7C8-29CD53664947.jpeg
    8D8312F4-B195-4B51-A7C8-29CD53664947.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DA53C460-7541-4D59-AB86-91E8426A65E8.jpeg
    DA53C460-7541-4D59-AB86-91E8426A65E8.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 7
  • 0D00B6FB-67C2-44F6-AFBD-5B382B46EA79.jpeg
    0D00B6FB-67C2-44F6-AFBD-5B382B46EA79.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 7
  • B7B14606-EB12-4181-92E6-EF988DF8A991.jpeg
    B7B14606-EB12-4181-92E6-EF988DF8A991.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 62B97B4D-B152-4B5E-8EE2-4A161181BFD9.jpeg
    62B97B4D-B152-4B5E-8EE2-4A161181BFD9.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 7
I'm sorry but their is no way that could be a day 19 egg and alive. :(

@BirdsBeesTrees According to when eggs were set, it was day 18/19 but I strongly believe it is delayed developmentally. Had a rough start in homemade incubator but things are stable now in auto incubator. The embryo is very much alive and moving quite a bit. Just having trouble identifying what day we’re actually on, as far as development. New pics show growth much better!

Haha, no need to apologize! There are several members here who are very well-versed in hatching :)

I'll have to take a look at the pictures when I get home since I can't see much on my phone, but here are those articles:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/development-of-a-chicken-embryo-day-by-day.72537/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-beginners-guide-to-incubation.73350/

Thank you so much @Pyxis for your reply and info shared. That was excellent information! I posted new pics as of last night. I’m seeing quite a bit of movement and veins. But since I’m new to this, I am having trouble identifying what day we’re on. We had a rough start so I strongly believe development was delayed some. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

UPDATE:
Still not quite sure what day we’re on here. As I mentioned before, I believe starting incubation in a homemade incubator with unregulated temp/humidity, then moving to auto incubator may have delayed development. This egg was set late in the day on 9/24 and moved to auto incubator on 10/4. But I am very pleased to see movement and big veins. If anyone has advice regarding what day this chick may be and if everything looks appropriate/healthy in new pics- I would be so grateful! I will do anything to help this chick hatch successfully! Thank you all.

Forgot to mention, I also observed toes/claws when chick was moving! Not sure if that would help identify # of day...

Back
Top Bottom