Need help identifying, possibly bumblefoot in CPQ?

bhex

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2022
Hello everyone, I'm seeking help from experts on how to proceed...

I have an older gentleman chinese painted quail, currently around 3,5 years, who has been having increasing trouble with his legs. His toe joints started to show swelling a long time ago but I assumed that was just coming with his age. Except that his roommate of the same age doesn't have this problem. And now he's starting to become somewhat reluctant to walk and I'm worried. Some of the toe joints are quite swollen and he doesn't bend the joints on his own so they are gradually stiffening out, making his walking harder. I have only found one little scab(?) underfoot once, but wasn't sure what it was really (could have been poop for example).

I have attached photos of his feet both from above and below. In the underfoot one I have marked the spot where I found the "scab". Going to the vet is expensive because it is far away and so I thought I would scout here first if it even necessary... If knowledgeable folks here could help me pointing in the right direction, I would be very grateful. I don't know how this could be treated. I understand Epsom salt baths might help if it is indeed bumblefoot, but his feet are so small it will be difficult to wrap them. Most likely it will also make his walking even more impossible. Do vets give injections or antibiotics for this?

Many kind thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20230122_132751.jpg
    IMG_20230122_132751.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20230122_133554.jpg
    IMG_20230122_133554.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 4
I know some about chickens, but I am not a quail expert. Have you noticed swelling of the leg joints, such as in his right hock? Are his ankles swollen or tender? Without a vet or testing, it is always hard to know for sure, but he could have arthritis or something like mycoplasma synovitis. There areboth bacterial and viral types of arthritis. You could try using aspirin or ibuprofen for a few days, and vets can prescribe meloxicam to help with pain or inflammation. How much does he weigh? Dosage would be very small for such a little guy.

I agree with Eggcessive, possibly arthritis or gout due to his age. The joints in the toes, especially the middle toes appear to be swollen. I've never owned quail and I'm not sure if the middle toe joints are normal looking.
You can cut way back on protein intake, provide cracked corn or millet, veggies or fruit to eat. Cherries or cherry juice for gout or inflammatory arthritis will help control either. Provide apple cider vinegar mixed in water as well.

I know some about chickens, but I am not a quail expert. Have you noticed swelling of the leg joints, such as in his right hock? Are his ankles swollen or tender? Without a vet or testing, it is always hard to know for sure, but he could have arthritis or something like mycoplasma synovitis. There areboth bacterial and viral types of arthritis. You could try using aspirin or ibuprofen for a few days, and vets can prescribe meloxicam to help with pain or inflammation. How much does he weigh? Dosage would be very small for such a little guy.
Hi Eggcessive (delighted to see a name like this on a chicken forum)

The other joints on his legs seem fine to me, however, he does fly pretty poorly so whatever it is could be affecting his wings too. He also doesn't like me touching the swollen joints all that much so I assume they may be tender.

By following a bumblefoot home remedy guide, I got some Epsom salts, bathed his toes for 10 minutes, did my best at putting a coat of honey on his feet and wrapping them in gauze and bandages but it's quite hard when his feet are so small! 😂

The lil guy weighs only around 40-50 grams. If he needs medication I would prefer to take him to the vet in that case.
I agree with Eggcessive, possibly arthritis or gout due to his age. The joints in the toes, especially the middle toes appear to be swollen. I've never owned quail and I'm not sure if the middle toe joints are normal looking.
You can cut way back on protein intake, provide cracked corn or millet, veggies or fruit to eat. Cherries or cherry juice for gout or inflammatory arthritis will help control either. Provide apple cider vinegar mixed in water as well.
Thanks for the ideas, dawg53! My quails already get a mix with cracked corn and seeds, I may increase that. Apple cider vinegar I give regularly, cherry juice is new. I hope the high sugar content won't be an issue.

After giving him two 10 minute foot baths with Epsom salts his leg condition has worsened, he can barely walk now, just kind of hobbles around. I didn't think the salts would make it worse. Taking him to the vet tomorrow... Wish us luck.

If the vet thinks he has gout, most people use sour cherry extract in capsules. Ask the vet if he thinks his hocks and ankles are swollen, since that can be a sign of mycoplasma synovitis, a common bacterial arthritis. Signs beside the swollen joints are preferring to lie or sit, mild or absent respiratory symptoms, and some develop breast blisters or sores on their keels from pressure.

If the vet thinks he has gout, most people use sour cherry extract in capsules. Ask the vet if he thinks his hocks and ankles are swollen, since that can be a sign of mycoplasma synovitis, a common bacterial arthritis. Signs beside the swollen joints are preferring to lie or sit, mild or absent respiratory symptoms, and some develop breast blisters or sores on their keels from pressure.
Is that what this is? I saw this blood spot/blister? on his breast today.

Attachments

• IMG_20230123_173531.jpg
    IMG_20230123_173531.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 4
It could be the beginnings of a breast blister. I would watch it to make sure that it doesn’t get bigger. Breast blisters or sores can be common in birds who are doing a lot of lying down or remaining on a roost for much of the day. It is like a pressure sore in people.

The fella was diagnosed with osteoarthritis at the vet... He got prescribed two different pain meds that I will be giving to him for now to see if his condition improves, otherwise he's healthy. He's walking a bit better now too, the salt bath might have softened the keratin too much so the legs got too tender to walk on, according to the vet.

I'm glad that now I have something to aid his wellbeing, will have to continue to monitor to see how he responds to the meds. I thought I would update the thread for the curious :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom