Need help identifying these two roos...

Kaceyx73

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 14, 2010
This weekend, a friend of mine went and caught a couple of strays from someones yard. Apparently they just showed up last fall and had made there home in some trees ina backyard, with no dea where they came from. She told him she thought there was a poultry show sometime last fall and thought maybe that's where they came from. Both are roos, and are old enough to have 2-3 inch spurs. Both appear healthy, but might have a lite case of leg mites, but I didn't get a good look. There in a very crudely made temporary pen, and are moving around, so the pics aren't really clear. For reference, the single comb appears fully grown, but is just a bit smaller than a production red pullet at 8 months. My guess is he is a bantam, but I have no idea of the breed. His plumage is fire orange, with typical iridescent green tail feathers outlined in buff. His body shape is typical of most large breed fowl, other than his size.

73816_dscf1622.jpg

The other one look like more of a game breed, with typical elongated body, longer tail feathers, but with the same fire orange hackles and saddle feathers. The upper body feathers and wings are a beautiful, deep, red-orange to maroon color. He has (I think) a pea comb, and large tufts on his ears, of a medium buff color. The legs on both are normal for large breeds, as in they aren't the typical long legs of many game birds. I'd mention how the long tail is carried, but getting used to a very small pen might be a bit of a shock for a rooster that has been wild all winter.

73816_dscf1621.jpg

Any help identifying the breed of these two guys would be appreciated. Finding them a new home is a real possibility, but would like to find out their breed first. I may take one or both, but would like to get at least a couple of hens to match. Thank again.

While the coloring is very similar, their body type, tail, comb, and one having very large ear tufts makes them seem, at least to this newbie, completely different birds. I wish I knew more of the breeds. My friend was trying to decide what to do with them. I wouldn't mind taking one myself, but I would really prefer they have a couple of hens, though. I already have 2 roos with 11 hens, and adding 1-2 bantams with a large Marans (possible cross) and a large production red cockerel, well, I just don't think that's the way to go. I am looking for hens so I can add some broodiness to the flock, possibly with some Marans to make mine a little more meaty down the road.

Any suggestions on what either of these 2 would cross well with? The first is a mini version of my Marans cross, but the second has a beautiful long tail. Reminds of a Cubalaya the way he carries it, but nowhere near the length, or overall size, and don't know if they come in that color.

One other thing to note, if it means anything to you guys, is the size of the legs, especially right above the ankles. Both of these roos have very thickly built legs, considering their size. From pics, the sheer size of the legs (thickness) reminds me of pics of indian game fowl, like the Asils and so on. They don't have the long legs of these game fowl, just the thickness. Both also are white legged.

Any ideas? I keep running across these red orange type birds, and they seem to confuse everyone. My roo, Mr. Vic, has very similar plumage, just twice the size of the first pic.

Back
Top Bottom