Need help identifying what may be taking my chickens

NevadaEmma

Songster
Mar 24, 2021
I have a flock of about 15 chickens. I keep them behind an electric fence most of the day, but let them out for a few hours before the sun goes down. I have had three chickens go missing. There were a mess of feathers on one of the small birds, about 4 months old. I could find nothing to indicate a struggle with Buff Orphington who was about the same age at the time she went missing.

Today, very shortly after I let the chickens out I heard a tremendous ruckus from all the chickens. I quickly went over to them and could find nothing except a bunch of excited chickens. They all made their way on their own accord into their fenced in area. I started counting them and could not find one of the Wyandottes. She is about 5 months old, just started laying eggs.

My neighbor has feral cats which stalk the birds. We also live in an area with many hawks.

I can find no carcasses, no blood. I found a couple of the Wyondottes feathers, but none of the Buff Orphingtons.

Thanks

My suggestion would be a camera if you have one. That way you will know what has been lurking. Kind of appears to me like a fox. This is the time of the year when the fox kits born last spring that are now hunting on their own. I have been seeing some kits here that are about the size of the adults. Here is a rabbit I see quite regularly I call Thumper. I have seen one of the fox kits chase Thumper but so far hasn't caught it. This is a short video and the fox appearance is quite quick. Good luck...

Do you have fox in your area?
No foxes, but we do have coyotes. They are rarely seen during the day. I always feel so terrible when this happens. But I do think there are great benefits for the chickens to free range. If it is a cat, then I can figure a way to deal with it, but if it is a predator from the air then I may have to rethink my fenced in area.

Thanks for the reply, yes I would love to get a camera to watch them Hubby said he is looking into it.

Back
Top Bottom