Need help IDing MMM free chick, plus are these Jersey Giants or a hybrid of some sort?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WalkingOnSunshine, May 23, 2012.

1. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Crowing

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The black and white baby is my MMM free chick. Anyone have any clue? The black ones were sold as black sex link, but they are so much larger than the others the same age (the red ones are definitely ISA Brown) and they just don't look like black sex link, which I've had before. The black ones do have yellow on the undersides of their feet, but it makes no sense to me that Jersey Giants would be sold as hybrid birds... Can anyone clear up my mysteries?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Second ones: http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/black_giants.html

I'm still trying to figure out the first :/

are listed on the site for their rare breeds special.

This is listed under their rarest of rare.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  3. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Good news is the first looks to be a pullet.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I know, I've looked at the MMM "rare breed" list until I'm blue in the face, and none of them seem to match this little girl. Splash Andalusian, maybe? But I've had Andalusians from MMM before, and this baby just doesn't look like one.

5. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

First thought of mine was Silver Spangled Hamburg until I realized she has a single comb. Sigh.. I have no clue.. She looks mixed quite honestly.. At least it looks to be a girl..

6. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Do you have her day old pictures?

7. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Sorry, no. She was kind of grey all over with a bit of white on the front. I looked all over the MMM website trying to match her, but couldn't. I assumed that we'd figure it out once she got older, but she's still a mystery.

I doubt she's mixed breed, since she came from MMM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: