Need help in Sexing and breed id?

ahmedamir

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Hey Everyone, I recently got 4 quails, couturnix as my supplier claims. I ordered 3 females and one male. Though, after bit research I think that's not the case. I guess, I got 50-50 each. I have been told that they age around 30 days. What do you guys think? Below are some pics of them:

I think the 2 in the back are females, as their obvious spots suggest?

The one staring right at me seems to be a male (brown fur on chest)

Same goes for the last one above.

What do you guys think?

Thanks snot for the reply. Now, I got one more question, which method is more reliable, chest fur? or Vent?. Cuz my supplier checked the vents and I am checking chest fur (as I am not much into checking vents :p)

I got one more question, which method is more reliable, chest fur? or Vent?
It's actualy "feathers". On the quail you have, the feather method is easiest, but when you have Texas A&M's, Tuxedos or other birds with white feathers on it breast, you have to rely on the vent. And when you vent check, the quail should be fully mature, otherwise she may never give you eggs for a reason (because she is actually a slow maturing "he" like I recently found out).

Thanks guys for the response. I guess I now have to get back to my supplier to either exchange the male or may be I'd get more females for the extra male. Anyways, couple of more questions :). I think my quails are not as active as they should be, as I've seen quails are at my supplier's place. How can we check that, I mean how can I identify that they are being lethargic? though, they ain't get lay on floor all the time, they do move around but not with much spirit. Is there any cure for the laziness?
One reason I could think of is that there are temperature variations where they are right now. I've put them in a wooden cage which is under open sky on my roof top. The front of the cage have chicken net while the other 3 walls are wooden, though, the two opposing ones have holes for ventilation. I've seen them open mouthed like if they're thirsty or being very hot or tired only at day time. At night when temperature is quite normal, they don't do this thing. It actually is my question too that what type of environment they need and ideal temperature conditions? Thanks

If they are in direct sunlight, they may be overheated. You may want to put something on the top to provide some shade for some of the cage. See if that helps. My quail are still inside until this crazy "hot-then-cold" weather. There is no way to acclimate them to that.
Edited: By looking at your photos again, I think your birds are overheated... I don't believe there is enough ventilation. Just me, but I would have hardware cloth on both sides.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom