Need Help! Is she Molting??

OK. they are not the most broody breeds but they do go broody. Have you seen any bullying? What a mystery!

No-one dare bully her, she is the boss. I only see her bullying others. Can she coop with the cold with bald? Right now it is around 10-15 degrees during daytime, but will go down to 0-5 degrees at night.

I can‘t heat the coop but I can bring her inside. Her flock mates are all fully feathered so should be fine with winter.

Her feather is not growing back, that’s what I am worried. As she is not broody, and molting usually starts from head to bottom. Plus she still lays everyday. I am scared her energy to re-grow the feathers are all put into laying but I have no way to stop that. I have being feeding her extra mealworms, calci worms, bird seeds to boost protein intake, but she still shows no sign of re-growing her feathers back.

I have being feeding her extra mealworms, calci worms, bird seeds to boost protein intake, but she still shows no sign of re-growing her feathers back.
Go easy on the worms, and forget the bird seed totally.
What is her regular feed, with protein and calcium percentages?

Probably not molting.
Might be pre-broody.
Some birds pull feathers and have bare spots, never been a problem here where it's really cold, so no need to bring her inside. The feathers may not grow back until she molts at ~14-18 months, so don't panic.

Do not treat for bugs unless you see them.

My Bug Check Notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Oh, and......
Where in this world are you located @Lin_0330 ?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1605796732157.png

Thanks for the information :)
I have updated my profile, I live in UK, London.
Their main layer pellets is Allen & Page Free Range Layers Pellets, protein 16%, calcium 3.8% (but I always provide crushed eggshell as well)

Back
Top Bottom