Need Help! Is she Molting??

Lin_0330

Songster
Apr 9, 2018
London, UK
Hi,

I have one hen and she is losing feathers on her belly.
I bought her as a POL in May this year so I don’t know exactly how old is she, since she started laying in Jun so I assume she is just under 1 year old.

Recently I notice her feathers are missing, it starts at very bottom and now I can see her breast skin.

I don’t think it is to do with parasites as she shows no irritation and my other chickens who live with her are all fine.

I know chicken molt around this time of the year but I thought they only start to molt in the second year of their life and they stop laying when they molt.

This year is her first year and she has been laying everyday so I very confused.
It is getting colder and colder I am very worried as well.

Appreciate if you can give some advice.
Thanks

Attachments

• 73A78514-276C-4F15-BC0F-02D54AC96C3F.png
    73A78514-276C-4F15-BC0F-02D54AC96C3F.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 825294CB-209B-4B4E-86E1-CCF457406C57.png
    825294CB-209B-4B4E-86E1-CCF457406C57.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 2C89C790-0C40-4CFF-8E96-8992BCCAC165.png
    2C89C790-0C40-4CFF-8E96-8992BCCAC165.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
Hmm, strange, that's the exact broody patch description. I did have hen do so when she was about to go broody though. Keep an eye out.

Treat her lightly for parasites in case. Watch out for bullying. Keep me updated!

Hmm, strange, that's the exact broody patch description. I did have hen do so when she was about to go broody though. Keep an eye out.

Treat her lightly for parasites in case. Watch out for bullying. Keep me updated!

Yes, very strange. As it is getting cold I am very worried she will catch a cold with bald belly. She is the boss in the flock as she is the oldest, but I will keep an eye, thanks.
I will but some mite treatment for her see if it works.

I have being feeding her extra mealworms, calci worms, bird seeds to boost protein intake, but she still shows no sign of re-growing her feathers back.
Go easy on the worms, and forget the bird seed totally.
What is her regular feed, with protein and calcium percentages?

Probably not molting.
Might be pre-broody.
Some birds pull feathers and have bare spots, never been a problem here where it's really cold, so no need to bring her inside. The feathers may not grow back until she molts at ~14-18 months, so don't panic.

Do not treat for bugs unless you see them.

My Bug Check Notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Oh, and......
Where in this world are you located @Lin_0330 ?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1605796732157.png

I don’t think so. She is still laying everyday and comes out play everyday, only visit nest box when she wants to lay and come out straight away after she laid, does not sit in her nest box for long at all.
Does she cluck sometimes ?
Has she gone broody before ?

Back
Top Bottom