NEED HELP Labored Breathing

HighNDryFarm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Paradise, CA
I posted this under the incubating thread but thought I could get some advice on this thread. I have a day old chick that all of the sudden is having trouble. Opening and closing her beak like she's having trouble breathing. She can still move around and chirp but just went into a corner and was getting walked all over so I took her out and put her in my top. I tried feeding her some scrambled eggs and almost acts like she can't swallow. I'm thinking she might have a shaving particle stuck in there so I coated a little piece of egg with olive oil and washed it down.

Is there anything else I can do? Does anyone know of what size of a small tubing I could push down the throat to dislodge it, if it is a shaving? I know years ago I had a bird I had to tube feed but it's been a lifetime ago so I can't remember what I used or if that would be safe in this situation. She's happily nestled in my shirt but still opening and closing her mouth. I don't want to lose her.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Really? Nobody can help me?
hit.gif

So sorry to hear about your little fuzzybutt.
sad.png
I have not had any experience with that sort of thing, so am unable to give you any advice other than what you have already done. If the little one isn't eating chick feed, maybe some oatmeal (not the flavored instant packs)? Unfortunately, the only advice I can give is to just keep an eye on lil bit. Let us know how he/she does. Best hopes and wishes to you.

Thank you for the responses....anyone have any experience with tube feeding? I'm thinking if that is the problem then maybe I could push it through....but I don't know what size of tubing I'd use. Thank you.....

JustAChickenLittle&More :

BigDaddy, I had one that was doing the same thing today. Sorry to say, it died. I don't know how to dislodge or I would help you.
smile.png

Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm afraid that this one doesn't seem to hopeful. Do you think yours ingested something? Have you seen this before? Any ideas as to what has happened? All these chicks were very active, doing well until this one just laid down and I noticed her beak opening and closing, not in an usual way.​

She died.
hit.gif
I wish I new for sure it was something in her throat or if I should worry about her having had something that could jeopardize the rest. I had her on a washcloth on the other end of the brooder, blocked from the rest....I picked her up with the washcloth and opened up the other end to all the other chicks, now they're over in the area like it's a new playground! Do I need to worry that it was something contagious? That area doesn't have wire so they're scratching and pecking so I hope that's the draw.

I'm thinking of the thread from the person who posted pictures because they just wanted to know what happened and I know just how they feel. I understand that some just don't make it but this one was not weak, progressed like the rest until mid morning when I found her laying in the corner. I don't want to lose them all.

Back
Top Bottom