NEED HELP! My chick isnt breathing right!

Nam Nguyen

Hatching
Jun 3, 2020
Over night my chi has started gasping for air, occasionally it sneezes but it dosent stop. Ots gotten worse over 2 days, it doesn't move much, doesn't eat orndrink se we do it by hand. It gasps fornair and its eyes are closed, nothing down the gullet, I cant feel anything either. It doesn't even want the heat lamp. What do I do?

You can take it to an bird vet or an exotic pet vet. In the meantime - get some “Vet Rx” from your local feed store. We give our chickens drops of colloidal silver for respiratory issues. I also nebulize it for them which is a little weird but seems to work very well.

How old?
What are you feeding?
Is it the only chick, or are there others?
Where did you get it from?
What's the temp in the brooder?
What are you using for bedding?

2x the Vet Rx at this time, thinking it's respiratory.

@Wyorp Rock @casportpony @dawg53
Thank you for any help
Maximum of 2 weeks old, feeding crushed pellets and insects because its summer.
Temperature is around 85 deg F, they can move around to adjust to their desired temp. 2 types, golden lace, and brahmas, one of which is sick. Bedding is made at home with specialized machine, made with cedar. Changes every 3 days. They are let outside twice a day, morning and whenever after the sun cools down.

Attachments

• 15912291603007001441463452008433.jpg
    15912291603007001441463452008433.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 15912292128534590940041674038231.jpg
    15912292128534590940041674038231.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
started gasping for air, occasionally it sneezes but it dosent stop. Ots gotten worse over 2 days, it doesn't move much, doesn't eat orndrink
feeding crushed pellets and insects because its summer.
made with cedar.
It sounds like a song bird whenever you grab and excite it and it gasps for air, every single breath. It looks like its suffering. Occasionally it will sneeze but it won't help. The only time it stops is when it sleeps, even then it moves alot when breathing.
I've tried giving it things like quinoa and small bugs and it sticks right under its lower jaw, I manually pull it down.
I hear a slight crackle in its breaths, like bending a hair clip
I'm sorry about your chick.

I looked at your other thread too and pulled some info from there that was not included in this thread.

You note a slight crackle when breathing?

You give Quinoa and bugs - the food sticks in her beak? I'm a bit confused if the food is sticking in the beak or if you are holding the food under her beak.
Are you providing grit?

The crackling is what I go back to - this does not sound good. Hard to know what may be causing that. Could she have aspirated some water?

The Cedar is probably not helping - cedar if aromatic and chickens have delicate respiratory systems - I would take out the cedar and line the brooder with newspaper, puppy pads or pine shavings - I'm not sure what you have available to you.

Are your chicks able to drink out of the bowl?

2x @Wyorp Rock ... Pine shavings is recommended, not Cedar. Chickens have sensitive respritory system and the scent/oils may irritate their lungs. You're feeding crushed pellets, what kind ... If it's layer, the calcium is too high for chicks liver/kidneys. You're feeding bugs, chicks/chickens don't have teeth to grind their food, they need grit (Chick Grit in you case) to grind down what they eat.

I'm sorry about your chick.

I looked at your other thread too and pulled some info from there that was not included in this thread.

You note a slight crackle when breathing?

You give Quinoa and bugs - the food sticks in her beak? I'm a bit confused if the food is sticking in the beak or if you are holding the food under her beak.
Are you providing grit?

The crackling is what I go back to - this does not sound good. Hard to know what may be causing that. Could she have aspirated some water?

The Cedar is probably not helping - cedar if aromatic and chickens have delicate respiratory systems - I would take out the cedar and line the brooder with newspaper, puppy pads or pine shavings - I'm not sure what you have available to you.

Are your chicks able to drink out of the bowl?
The chick died yesterday, light in comparison to the others. We couldn't get any Vet Rx in time but it died to I'm guessing dehydration, water comes back up. The food stuck basically right out of sight down the throat, meaning I would have to pull it down into its stomach.
The other chicks seem to be doing fine though, an open bowl of water and food are supplied and we have used cedar and other randomized woods for bedding for our past chickens and chicks. This has happened once before, with one of our chickens 4 years old, instead, it got heavier instead of lighter. I'm thinking it's just by chance this happens. I've read other posts and they say that a crackling could indicate an infection of sorts, but it stopped a few hours before it died. breathing included a whistle every breath and got more violent. What a shame. Thank you for your time, hopefully, this can help if it happens to you.

Vet Rx in time but it died to I'm guessing dehydration, water comes back up. The food stuck basically right out of sight down the throat, meaning I would have to pull it down into its stomach.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Water coming back up - I would suspect the crop was blocked. Possibly the chick ingested some wood shavings - sometimes that happens.

Back
Top Bottom