Please Help me, 4 day old baby chick is dying

Feb 5, 2022
New River, Arizona
Hello,
unfortunately my 4 day old baby chick is not doing so well. she was fine for the two days then all of a sudden i noticed her not wanting to eat or drink anything at all. i had to hand feed and water her. now she is gasping for air, even worse when she tries to drink. she lays with her head propped up against something high above her body while wheezing/rattling sound is coming from her. she is progressively getting worse. i have tried to give her nutri-drench and yolk which made her feel a little better but breathing/wheezing continues. she cheeps in pain with every breathe. someone please help im not sure how to proceed

i had to hand feed and water her. now she is gasping for air, even worse when she tries to drink. she lays with her head propped up against something high above her body while wheezing/rattling sound is coming from her. she is progressively getting worse.
Originally she may not have been digesting properly. Pasty butt doesn't usually form that early in MY experience.. so possibly unseen internal issues. But have you checked for pasty butt?

She's likely been aspirated (through the hand feeding and watering) causing the crackling sounds which is fluid in the lungs..and now every breath is struggle. (I only know this because I've done it) They do not recover from the crackling.. if they do somehow survive then bacterial pneumonia is likely to develop.

Culling is my unfortunate suggestion.

Always use your best judgement, what you can live with. :hugs

Originally she may not have been digesting properly. Pasty butt doesn't usually form that early in MY experience.. so possibly unseen internal issues. But have you checked for pasty butt?

She's likely been aspirated (through the hand feeding and watering) causing the crackling sounds which is fluid in the lungs..and now every breath is struggle. (I only know this because I've done it) They do not recover from the crackling.. if they do somehow survive then bacterial pneumonia is likely to develop.

Culling is my unfortunate suggestion.

Always use your best judgement, what you can live with. :hugs
I ve had this issue with my keets
So worried..
New at hatching , but I have an unrelated medical background so I gave this a go..
I’ve rubbed a bit of V. Capo rub under thee wings( less messy)
And a tiny smear forehead near beak.
They breathe easier
Then some bit sugar in warm water to swallow abit, for energy
It work miraculously for me.
My keet hatched 3 days before due date as a bevy of other Hatcher’s were chirping, it prompted all hatching at once🫢
I’m actually going to ask if I could inject Nacl with a fine needle for hydration.
🤔
It would aide greatly for the first day or so

Hello,
unfortunately my 4 day old baby chick is not doing so well. she was fine for the two days then all of a sudden i noticed her not wanting to eat or drink anything at all. i had to hand feed and water her. now she is gasping for air, even worse when she tries to drink. she lays with her head propped up against something high above her body while wheezing/rattling sound is coming from her. she is progressively getting worse. i have tried to give her nutri-drench and yolk which made her feel a little better but breathing/wheezing continues. she cheeps in pain with every breathe. someone please help im not sure how to proceed
I had one that cheeped (good word as it sure wasn't chirping) every breath too. We too had given nutra drench and put VetRX under wings and dab on head above nostrils. It didn't stop the cheeping. This went on for over a week, then we sadly culled it as there had to be something drastically wrong with it.

Hello,
Unfortunately this has happened to me as well. Nothing you can do but try. Mine died in my hands. Just love it til it passes. I have had three do this over time.

Back
Top Bottom