HELP! WHEEZING HEN!

Jun 29, 2023
We have this hen, she is around a year or two old and she’s wheezing and her comb is like purplish red color. She won’t breath from her beak it’s constant breathing through the mouth, she won’t eat it drink, just trying to breath, does anyone know anything about it? She’s the only one doing it, so it’s not like the coop is overly dirty. After a minute or so she breathes in really hard and makes this strained breathing sound, please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 54
That looks like a respiratory issue to me. I have no idea how to help, though. It could Also be a heart attack, but those are rare for non broilers, while respiratory issues are common.

That looks like a respiratory issue to me. I have no idea how to help, though. It could Also be a heart attack, but those are rare for non broilers, while respiratory issues are common.
Is it contagious do you know? Should we seperate her from the rest of the flock?

We have this hen, she is around a year or two old and she’s wheezing and her comb is like purplish red color. She won’t breath from her beak it’s constant breathing through the mouth, she won’t eat it drink, just trying to breath, does anyone know anything about it? She’s the only one doing it, so it’s not like the coop is overly dirty. After a minute or so she breathes in really hard and makes this strained breathing sound, please help!
I had a bird doing something similar recently, I dewormed her with panacur and gave baytril and tylan. Do you have any of those meds?
One of them definitely helped and she recovered. She's still not 100% but getting there.
I'd separate your girl and if it's cold out maybe bring her inside where it's warmer.
Is there anything blocking her airway? Look as far down her throat as you can.

Can you see anything inside her beak or throat? Is she constantly gaping with her beak open to get air? How long has it been going on? Has there been any sneezing, coughing, watery/bubbly eyes, and head shaking? Could she have gotten a piece of food stuck in her throat? Do you have any SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste? If so, give her 1.25 ml (1 1/4 ml) orally now and for the next 5 days. I would try to minimize any excitement in the coop. Bring her inside or into a quiet area. Let us know if she improves.

I had a bird doing something similar recently, I dewormed her with panacur and gave baytril and tylan. Do you have any of those meds?
One of them definitely helped and she recovered. She's still not 100% but getting there.
I'd separate your girl and if it's cold out maybe bring her inside where it's warmer.
Is there anything blocking her airway? Look as far down her throat as you can.
She hasn’t improved and we separated her, thank you so much we are going to try to see those medicines work and we will update, thank you for your concern!

Can you see anything inside her beak or throat? Is she constantly gaping with her beak open to get air? How long has it been going on? Has there been any sneezing, coughing, watery/bubbly eyes, and head shaking? Could she have gotten a piece of food stuck in her throat? Do you have any SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste? If so, give her 1.25 ml (1 1/4 ml) orally now and for the next 5 days. I would try to minimize any excitement in the coop. Bring her inside or into a quiet area. Let us know if she improves.
Ok! Thank you so much for your concern she is separated and hasn’t improved. We are going to try your solution and we will let you know if anything improves!

Back
Top Bottom