buff cornish, white laced red cornish
red broiler, slow growing cornish
which lays more eggs, which has better meat quality and taste
if you have any pictures of them please post them
and say how many weeks old or months old they are
also if anyone also raises meat chickens in arizona
near mesa arizona thanks have a great day

Last edited:
I like my Delawares they are ready to butcher @ 18 to 20 weeks and the hens lay lots of eggs. I'm trying Delaware X New Hampshire crosses now and I have meat crosses from another breeder that have Delaware and Barred Rocks and New Hampshires and ? in them they were ready @ 16 weeks. I like the dual purpose chicken and Delawares were developed for meat first then the Cornish X Rocks came along and were cheaper to raise for the growers...The taste in a little older bird is so good and if aged correctly they cook up very well not tough or worse mushy tasteless grocery store birds...

Quote:
do you have pictures of the delaware x new hamphire cross
i have a delaware rooster,buff orphington and might get a red star rooster
hens are red star,delaware and buff orphington, will be getting this year slow
white broilers and red broilers and maybe some buff cornish and white laced red cornish

AS soon as my New Hampshire roo gets old enough I'm going to try the opposite cross that will be sex-linked. I really like the Indian River chicks so far they are just like Dels run right over to me when they hear my voice and want to be finger chickens....
they are between a RIR and a Cuckoo Maran

51426_100_1509.jpg

They should be close the New Hampshire is from the RIR just developed more for meat not the brick shape you can use Buckeyes too..if I'm just using them as a learning project selling the roos for eating and the pullets for laying. I hope to pay for the feed when I sell them I work for free......I don't know about selling chicks I think I will end up with lots of boys but I'm putting them on CL today feeling out the market I just need to learn Spanish better that's the big market.

After some research and much appreciated help from you people here,I've decided on Plymouth barred rocks for dual purpose.

We are fairly new with chickens and learning as we go.

What do you like or dislike about PBR?

Quote:
There is a Plymouth Rock thread subscribe to it and look for the pictures of the beautiful Barred Rocks from the "Ringlet" strain that is eye candy and you will not get birds like that from a catalog....I have Silver Penciled Rocks and they are beautiful too and no comparison to a hatchery bird as they are much bigger and better made take your time and get the best birds you can afford. Rocks are good eating no matter what they look like in their color they dress out very nice and lay very well just not like a Leghorn

Back
Top Bottom