need help on the boy girl thing

prayerkat

Hatching
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Here are my chicks. I had bought 2 silkie bantys, 2 white laced black polish, and 2 ameraucana bantys. one of my ameraucana's started facing off and picking fights... so I figured him a rooster and gave him away. The guy who came and got him said he was a rooster ... that you can tell by that bump on the legs where a spur would be. These guys are around 5 weeks old I guess...... anyhow...... I looked at the rest of them tonight... they all have bumps on thier legs. But then so do my adult hens that are laying!
So I am confused.

ok so #1 is my ameraucana...its gray and reddish buff ... nice and docile too. #2 is my bigger black polish and #3 is my bigger reddish silkie... they are bigger than the other two the same breed cause the littler ones had plugged vents when i got them so they had a rough 3-4 days. Atleast thats what I was thinking since they did not grow as large right from the start.

#4 is the smaller black polish and #5 is the xsmaller buffish looking silkie. The silkies also have black spots on thier wing feathers. Are they special for anything??

Thanks for your input.. I am really not wanting to have to get rid of them... but will if they are roosters.
chicks.jpg

I can't really say from the pictures, but I can say this...you cannot sex by that little bump on their legs. Every chick has that little bump, and as you said, so do the hens.

Your pic 1 - the Ameraucana is looking a bit red around the wattles for a 5 week old. #1 would be a roo, by my guess.

Good luck with the rest.
Em

yea i am feeling silly now... well I will just keep these until I know for sure... when they crow or lay eggs! hehe!
they are all great together... and keep very busy catching bugs! very friendly bunch too!
Thanks for your input!
Kat

Back
Top Bottom