need help picking a rooster

philc814

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Hi I was hoping you guys and girls could help me pick the right rooster for my situation. I just got six red sex link chicks there three weeks old now. i would like to buy a rooster. i live on two acers my closest neighbors are about fifty yards away so i don't want one that will crow constantly and i would prefer a friendly one. i would love your suggestions.
thanks phil.
D.gif

depends on where you live more or less; i.e. hot or cold climate, as far as crowing, they dont crow as much as people say they do, only when someone or something enters their perimeter, in winter if you dont supply a light source to keep them up until after 9pm, the rooster will wake the hens up around 2:30 am, but with light 5-7am FOR egg laying size and quantity in the future I would go with the barred rock, leghorn, rhode island red, delaware; these breeds most likely make up the sex links background

Hey
thanks a lot for replying sounds like good advice. do you see any thing wrong with buying a rooster at the local farm auction or should i order a chick?
phil

Back
Top Bottom