Need help please. Pullet seems to have obstruction in throat and/or air sac/lung

Hi @Wyorp Rock! She's doing well, thanks to you and @azygous. I sincerely appreciate you both and credit you two for saving her. I've been keeping an eye out for symptoms similar to hers but hope this isn't going to be an ongoing issue. As for Blue, the silkie cockerel that's annoying the girls, well, Rusty, my Calico Princess put some fear into him (not that I expect the fear to last) and he's been better towards the girls while I figure out what I'm going to do with these 3 little guys. I seriously appreciate you both more than I can find the words to express. You're both such blessings and I will forever be grateful

Hi @Wyorp Rock! She's doing well, thanks to you and @azygous. I sincerely appreciate you both and credit you two for saving her. I've been keeping an eye out for symptoms similar to hers but hope this isn't going to be an ongoing issue. As for Blue, the silkie cockerel that's annoying the girls, well, Rusty, my Calico Princess put some fear into him (not that I expect the fear to last) and he's been better towards the girls while I figure out what I'm going to do with these 3 little guys. I seriously appreciate you both more than I can find the words to express. You're both such blessings and I will forever be grateful
I'm glad to hear she is doing well! :)

@Wyorp Rock @azygous I think might have overreacted made a mistake last night after seeing my teeny tiny silkie (1.5lb) pullet get away with pecking Amelia Bedila (who is usually at the very top of the pecking order) on the roost and making her move. Amelia then went back to the top roosting bar and sat there with her eyes closed like she did when she was sick. I got really nervous thinking about how sick she was and how I almost lost her. Having a nightmare about losing every bird I have didn't help, even though that was a couple of weeks ago, it's still on my mind often. I made the decision to start antibiotics last night and now I feel like I overreacted, but I know that I have to be careful with antibiotics and never give them carelessly, like I may have done last night. So, is it best to go ahead and continue antibiotics for 7-10 days? I took her off the roost late last night and let her walk around in my shop. She seemed fine and was even jumping up trying to get raisins. She seemed like herself but didn't seem as flighty as normal. She usually doesn't like being held, at all. I know that I was incredibly stupid with her health and don't see this happening again without a strong and solid reason, but what is the best way to proceed?

:hugs If you only gave her 1 pill (what was it Amoxicillin?) then I don't think I would give anymore if you think she's fine.

I can understand being worried, you're doing good, just watch her for a few days.

I have found no matter what "status" a bird has, whether head hen or the lowest - when roosting time comes, birds will get their pecks in. Even really timid hens will give a higher ranking hen a peck during that squabbling for roosting time LOL They sometimes get paid back too, but that's just the way of chickens.

You weren't foolish at all to begin an antibiotic when you felt your chicken was sick again. I will do that when I see a sick chicken to be sure I'm as on top of it as possible. Waiting until you're absolutely sure a chicken needs the antibiotic can end up losing precious time that could mean life or death.

Next day if I see the patient I thought was at death's door step behaving completely normal, I will then simply not continue the antibiotic. No harm, no fowl. (Oops! See what I just did with that last word? I'm so funny, I can't stand myself sometimes.)

Hi ladies @azygous @Wyorp Rock ! I hope both of you are doing well during these uncertain times. Amelia Bedila just ends up with the short stick most of the time and right now, she's suffering from 2 ailments and I wanted to ask if I should start antibiotics or wait it out? I thought her back was getting bare from cockerels, so they haven't been near they girls except for hours after dark, they join the girls already roosting and at sunrise, they're separated again. Her back never improved and her bald spot got larger. Last night, I noticed that she had a fresh bloody wound from being pecked, plus she was limping (I am doing epsom salt soaks twice a day & confining her due to bumblefoot). After lots of monitoring, I've found that the sweetest bird I have, that is also the lowest on the pecking order, Darhma (small Starlight Green Egger) has been clipping both Amelia Bedila's, and Junie B. Jones' back feathers and has a wound on both of them, Amelia's is quite worse. I feel confident in the cause of Darhma's disturbing behavior is due to lack of enough space, as I'm already in the process of extending their run, considerably. I have taken Amelia away from the flock to contain her and limit her movements for her bumblefoot. I am wondering if I should start her on an antibiotic for her two ailments? I have amoxicillin and Enrofloxacin. Thank you both for your time.

Bumblefoot rarely needs help with an oral antibiotic. If you wrap the treated wound well, she can even return to the flock.

The saddle wound doesn't need an antibiotic unless there's obvious signs of infection. That would be redness and swelling. She would be much happier in a safe pen in the run to protect her from the others.

I don't believe I've ever seen such classy names for chickens as you have. Makes me chuckle.

Thank you for your reply! Here is a picture of her back. I didn't wrap it today but I will
20200406_200336.jpg

Do I need to wrap her foot before I get the "kernal" or whatever the infection is called, out? I am soaking and massaging, but it's still stuck on there really well. I'm also not feeling much as far as pus goes in her foot pad. It's like a callous that is painful, like a corn, bunion, or plantar wart feels like walking on a rock to a human. I got a picture of it yesterday, so I'll share my initial findings
20200405_123321.jpg

Back
Top Bottom