Need help please. Pullet seems to have obstruction in throat and/or air sac/lung

Pics
Both of those wounds appear to be mild, certainly neither is infected.

Bumblefoot sometimes is shallow and not much of a pus kernel exists. Spraying with Vetericyn and then some ointment and a bandage for two or three days may be all that's needed.

The saddle wound is also not very serious. I'm treating a hen right now with a serious wound on her tail. It's so bad, all her tail feathers fell out. I would love to bandage it since it's so raw. I did paste a gauze square impregnated with petroleum jelly on it to try to keep it moist and to keep out the dirt.

By mid-morning, the patient had torn off the gauze. I pasted another one on her and put Pick-no-mor on it to discourage her messing with it. By early afternoon, she had torn off the second gauze patch. So, that's a preview of what your patient is likely to do if you try to bandage the wound.

I've had my share of experience treating wounded chickens and I will tell you that as long as you clean the wound at least once a day and keep antibiotic ointment on it, it can get dirty and it will still heal splendidly.

I just finished getting everyone fed, medicated, watered, and locked up.
@azygous
Your comment about my chicken names made me smile! I LOVE using names from kids books, but my daughter is beginning to disagree. She's 8, going on 20 (oops! Pardon me, it's 17 that she's most looking forward to and always pretends to be, hahaha)! I've also always loved ole timey traditional names that were more common and popular many years before my time. Since I only had one kid, my animals get these amazing names, but my daughter will oftentimes win the "name our newest member" game and then we'll have someone named something common, like our white silkie, "Bella". If I had my way, her name would be "Lady Penelope", "Dutchess Pearl", or something different but slightly classic. I have a bad habit of putting WAY too much time, thought, and effort, into things that should be simple and quick, if you haven't noticed :lau

Both of those wounds appear to be mild, certainly neither is infected.

Bumblefoot sometimes is shallow and not much of a pus kernel exists. Spraying with Vetericyn and then some ointment and a bandage for two or three days may be all that's needed.

The saddle wound is also not very serious. I'm treating a hen right now with a serious wound on her tail. It's so bad, all her tail feathers fell out. I would love to bandage it since it's so raw. I did paste a gauze square impregnated with petroleum jelly on it to try to keep it moist and to keep out the dirt.

By mid-morning, the patient had torn off the gauze. I pasted another one on her and put Pick-no-mor on it to discourage her messing with it. By early afternoon, she had torn off the second gauze patch. So, that's a preview of what your patient is likely to do if you try to bandage the wound.

I've had my share of experience treating wounded chickens and I will tell you that as long as you clean the wound at least once a day and keep antibiotic ointment on it, it can get dirty and it will still heal splendidly.

OH my. Poor girl! I'm sure it's bothering you too since you are unable to bandage it up. I've got a bottle of that "pick no more" on my order at TSC that I should be able to pick up in the morning. Since I haven't sent the order through just yet, I will add vetericyn and some of the self adhesive wrap so I can pick that up in the morning as well. I really hope your hen cooperates and stops prolonging her healing process. Yikes, that sounds like a serious wound. I'm not sure if you are under a "stay at home" order, but leave it to chickens to make sure we stay busy and keep us on our toes :th

I did attempt to wrap Amelia Bedila's back..... Have you ever watched those videos people make when they put shoes or sometimes clothes on their cat and/or dog? She was just like that. She did put a tiny bit of effort into walking, but then just melted. Even though I don't speak her language, it was painfully obvious that she was furiously cussing me. Of course I quickly took it off before she deemed me unforgivable. I have been keeping her and Junie B. Jones separated from Darhma (my back pecker), alternating them as they laid. Junie B. Jones and Amelia Bedila were nervous wrecks yesterday and I realized that it was because they desperately wanted to get to their nesting boxes to lay. I figured they'd lay in the kennel, and maybe they would eventually, but they acted a bit psychotic until they got to the nesting boxes and quickly laid. They were both happy normal pullets afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom