Need help please

Apr 13, 2018
Flowery branch , ga
Hi my name is jody I hope someone can help me I’ve had my first sight of a rooster fight and two of them are badly hurt I don’t know what to do one is gurgling on blood I think but he is moving around now it happened this morning the other one is going to be ok but the bad one I think his eye is messed up I can’t tell because of all the blood but I think he has blood in his lungs that’s what it sounds like the poor thing is there anything I can do to help it ???? It a wild red rooster he has never let me touch him so I’m a little scared but I’ll do whatever I can to help him I just don’t know what anyone please tell me what to do???!!!

I am sorry this is happening. Unfortunately, it seems snapping his neck is the best option. He is suffering, and it is definitely not responsible (please don’t hear that as criticism) to let him continue to die slowly. Use a net, or throw a blanket over him to catch him. Wrap him in a towel while holding him to do the deed.

Are they both yours? The first thing I would recommend is to get them separated both from each other and the flock, ASAP. It does sound as if they are in bad shape. I'm not one for doctoring much, so I hope someone can chime in and give you some better advice than I have. It may come to putting one or both of them down if they don't show improvement by morning. (If they survive the night.)

Hi my name is jody I hope someone can help me I’ve had my first sight of a rooster fight and two of them are badly hurt I don’t know what to do one is gurgling on blood I think but he is moving around now it happened this morning the other one is going to be ok but the bad one I think his eye is messed up I can’t tell because of all the blood but I think he has blood in his lungs that’s what it sounds like the poor thing is there anything I can do to help it ???? It a wild red rooster he has never let me touch him so I’m a little scared but I’ll do whatever I can to help him I just don’t know what anyone please tell me what to do???!!!
Sounds like you witnessed nature's way of sorting out survival of the fittest (or the meanest). If your profile is correct and you've got 5 Roos & 4 Hens then this was inevitable. You only need 1 roo with 4 hens, and that's only if you want the eggs fertile. Unfortunately it sounds like it's time for rooster culling at your house, or at the least rehoming them. If any of them are Gamebirds they're bred for that behavior so there was little you could've done to prevent it. I myself have 10 cockerels/roos (with 30+ hens/pullets), but they were raised from hatch together and have managed a pecking order amongst themselves (HUGE 20 week old cockerels will still run & hide from our ALPHA bantam Roo). It's time for Freezer Camp here at my house, and let me tell ya I dread trying to decide who gets to stay. Chickens are super hardy & can survive injuries that seem impossible so I hope they survive. Just separating them & letting them recover from the stress may be all they need, but that is not a longterm solution. Good luck:fl & Welcome to BYC the hard way! :welcome
2019-12-05_23.14.24.jpg

Welcome To BYC

How is the rooster doing this morning?
Can you post some photos?

Can you catch the rooster?
Is he able to stand up?

I would rinse off the head, face and eyes with saline or you can make a solution of salt water since the eye is involved. Wipe out his nostrils.
If there was quite a bit of blood, he may have aspirated some blood, but if not too bad, he may come around.
Make some sugar water available for him.

With more information and photos, hopefully we can give you better suggestions.

Some good advice above - an I'm a newbie so I won't weigh in on long term. But before ending their suffering, I'd clean them up and assess the damage. It doesn't sound good, and may look worse, but until you clean off the blood, you won't know the extent of the damages. (I know little about chickens, but a former EMT) - you'd be amazed at how the real damage looks once the blood is cleaned up. And faces, and combs are very vascular - so small wounds can bleed a lot.

Back
Top Bottom