Need Help Please

When I candled the eggs I didnt see a black dot, does that mean its not fertile? Because I've been reading a lot about if your not seeing a black dot then there not fertile. It's making me nervous.

I've had them in the incubator for about 60hrs right now which would make it 2 and a half days so far. I got them Wednesday morning about 8 o'clock and put the in the incubator about 2 or so.

It stinks not knowing when they were laid as Most people for Chickens wouldnt even start candeling until about day 7 .. I know you Do not have any idea when the mother laid them. If It were me I would try again in 4 or five days candeling them I mean .. I sure hope you get a happy ending .. I have only done Chickens though so it may pay to do a little research about Turkey eggs. I Have heard that Ducks need more humidity .. and I think they spritz them with water ( where as I dont for chickens ) But you see what I am saying probably some adjustments to be made and I sure wouldnt want to pretend I was the best person to advise you about that as I am def not .. Good Luck !!!

Sorry..I meant the dot "comes" later. I was in a rush..at work on break. You don't need to count the hours, today is Saturday and you put them in on Wednesday so they are day 3 of incubation. Again, it really doesn't matter what day she laid them BC more than likely she wasn't done laying and hadn't begun the broody stage. Keep turning them as you already are..and candle them again on Wednesday. Because Turkey eggs are darker in Color you may or may not see anything yet. If that's the case try candling them next Saturday and you most definitely should see something. What you're looking for is spidery looking red vein formation ..that will indicate they are fertile and growing. Shortly after you will see that little black dot you were talking about. That is actually the little poult! :) its cool because u can see it moving and bouncing around ..even the little heart beat! I set some turkey eggs on Wednesday as well so I'll walk you through any help u need. Plus then I can let u know what I'm seeing in my eggs and we can compare notes. :) did u ever get that hygrometer? ?

No I haven't gotten it yet but planning on going by Walmart this afternoon and picking one up. Thank alot folks!!! I will candle them again Wednesday and if I still don't see anything I'll try it again Saturday...

Last edited:
Ok folks I went and bought a digital thermometer/hygrometer and my humidity level is running around 41-46% but I had to raise the temp by about six degrees because the mercury thermometer was about 6-7 degrees low. I'm assuming the digital one is the one I should go by right? Will that big of temp difference do you think it hurt the eggs any? Thanks..

Last edited:
I actually have an open thread for this same exact question. I've read so many different answers on this. mine always ran about 40-45%. Some things I read said that was perfect while others said it was too low. Right now, let me take a look...humidity is at 40% and 99degrees.

Back
Top Bottom