Need help QUICK!!!me.

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

big_smile.png

OK...I need more help...one has been trying to hatch for almost 24 hours now. I just looked at it and it had been making good progress but nothing in hours, so I took off some shell and then outer membrane, and the inner membrane was really sticky and kind of crusty. So I took a Q tip and slowly moistened the membrane. I took more shell and did the same again. I did this until I got the chick out of the shell but now it is sort of sticky and crusty...what can I do?

The chick that made it out with a little crustiness on it should be fine, that residue isn't a big deal. If the ones left in the bator are drying out then you need to mist some warm water in there, quickly. You can run the shower again to raise the humidity in the room itself, lift the lid a little and check the others. Manually moisten them if need be, fill the wells, put a wet maxi pad on the floor of the bator, mist the inside of the bator with warm water, whatever you need to do to keep them from drying out. Once the membranes are moist enough they should all pop right out.

One of the hatched chicks looks good and is fluffed out and sounds great, good and loud, however, when he stands up he ends up with his head going up and then he falls over backwards onto his back and wiggles all around until he can get up again. I googled this and came up with wry neck? Is that correct? What can I do to help him?

I've never dealt with that issue, but I can tell you that when a chick first tries to walk it's like watching a drunk stagger home. They need some time to get the hang of things, they've been curled up inside a shell their whole lives. If he still has a problem after 24 hours then it's something more serious.

Back
Top Bottom