Need help.. Sick & lethargic

You guys are great. Thanks for the information. Is there any way I can mark this thread or the individual posts so I can find them again?

They continue to get better. I haven't weighed them yet today, but they were down in weight yesterday, what I think, due to dehydration. We put out yesterday while we worked on our version of the Casa de Pea, and they hydrated themselves.

So... Here's our version of Casa de Pea. This is ONE day of work with a very talented carpenter friend.

The outdoor area is 12x24, and the indoor area is 28sq feet. There is going to be a matching indoor coop on the other side, that can be completely closed in order to quarantine, or whatever.

How we started....

The rise of the coop "alllllmost" matches the rise of the house.

The eating area was made to add stability to the structure. Brilliant IMHO.

At 6, the chickens got put up, and I made the peas sit and watch, as peas and chickens do not go into the same coop anymore. George watched us, and T.G. pouted. Here's George "hanging out".

By 7pm, it was fight time for us (UFC), and time for my helper to go home. The coop is temporarily wrapped in chicken wire, and will be finished Monday with OSB, as seen on the roof and sides. The top 1' of the rise will be finished in chicken wire, and the overhangs will have bird boxes in them. Here are the two resting comfortably, after their evening meds, and food.

Last edited:
Nice looking Palace! About your photos, they remind of of the photos that I used to see the 80's Arab Horse World magazines.

Candispeas,
Thank you for sharing this is great info and it is all togeather..
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Pea daddy- your coop looks good, but I have a few observations. - chicken wire is not predator proof. Regarding the height of roosts-While I realize that peas prefer high roosts, the higher the roost, the more clear area in front of the roost is needed for the pea to get down without harming themselves.

Pea daddy- your coop looks good, but I have a few observations. - chicken wire is not predator proof. Regarding the height of roosts-While I realize that peas prefer high roosts, the higher the roost, the more clear area in front of the roost is needed for the pea to get down without harming themselves.
thumbsup.gif

I appreciate your observations. If you go back to where I posted the pics, and the attached commentary, you'll get up to date on the coop, and the aviary. Note the pics, as well. The aviary has nothing on it, and has no roof structure. I hope you'll appreciate what was accomplished in a day, and what the finished product looks like tomorrow.

The purpose of the coops are to get the birds out of the weather. I anticipate they'll be roosting in the aviary at night, but if they roost in the coops, the perches that you see now are also temporary, and will be moved to more permanent places tomorrow.

@casportpony: You mean BEFORE PhotoShop?
smile.png

Last edited:
Appreciate? I'm jealous. Its going to be great. Did you find out for certain what killed the others? Please excuse my paranoia, I've had guineas for years, they also prefer to roost high and the guinea forum is full of people finding out the hard way that they need lots of landing area.

Wouldn't blackhead be more prevalent in some areas  where the grounds is more wet to support the host worm or insects?
Where i live the weather has changed  drastically over the last 25 years, were don't get weekly rains like we use to, the wind blows all the time it seams making every thing even dryer, we are in  a drought most all the  time, these conditions do not support worms very well unless the soil is improved and watered.

Folks in my area have never had any cases of blackhead so i do believe it can be  that it may be area specific what do you all think?

My peas will absolutely not eat a worm unless it is a home grown grub worms ,meal worms and they like caterpillars too.

Wasn't the Baytril perscribed for a secondary infection not to treat the blackhead ?

True, there are no cases of blackhead in my area but you know my story. My poor baby ate a darn worm that was sick and my baby died. Freak death.

Back
Top Bottom