NEED HELP! What is wrong with my Hamburg???

Minniechickmama

Senora Pollo Loco
14 Years
Sep 4, 2009
Minnesota
This is weird. I went out this afternoon and this chicken had his head (I think it is a cockerel), just hanging, like he was nodding off to sleep. He would pop it up if the others would run away from me, but then it would just droop like this. He is acting off too like he is not balanced. What could be wrong? Anyone?
40608_sick_hamburg.jpg

possibly the beginnings of wry neck?

Is it still eating and drinking?

Try a bubble wrap or toilet paper roll neck brace (bubblewrap 1-2 good wrapa around neck and tape in place or toilet paper roll cut about 1" shorter than the neck - p.s. toilet paper roll may not stay on long but is a good short term fix till you can go to walmart and get some bubblewrap)
give vitamins poly vi sol (no iron) in the water, and and and dang theres something else thats suggest for wry neck.... oh vitamin E. liquid if you can find it, if not get the gel caps - pierce it add a few drops to the water. the poly vi sol is only as a bit of a booster if the bird isn't drinking or eating normally. the vitamin E actually helps the wry neck. leave 'neck brace' on for 1 day, take it off but watch the chicken and see how its doing...still drooping head, putt brace back on, and repeat each day till it can hold its neck and head up. but usually i think it shouldn't take but a day or two tops before the brace can come off.

Actually, I just found another posting that was all about botulism, and that is a definite possibility according to symptoms, but I don't know where he would have gotten it. I know what wry neck is, and this is not the same thing.
I did give him PolyViSol right away and I have molasses to do a flush with. I don't know if I have epsom salts, but will get some in the morning for sure. I wish I would have been able to look this up right away when I saw him this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom