need help with a sick chicken

tbelknap

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Hi,
I am new to this site, because I have a chicken that is causing me great concern.... I raised this chicken from September'13 from the hatched egg... once it was bigger I moved it to the chicken house with the rest of my flock.... 3 days ago I went to the house to let them out for the day and this guy was in the corner, hunched down, he had a bleeding open spot on his upper neck about the size of a half dollar, and most of the feathers on the back of his neck were gone. I brought him into my house and cleaned him up, put some triple antibiotic cream on it, and put him in a large dog crate, with a bed of hay, food ,& water...... I take him out of the cag? e at least 3-4 times a day. He seems to be eating good ( corn, mash, occasionally apple and dried bread... Bowels are no problem) HIs balance is not great... He'll stand then try to fluff his feathers and he falls to a sitting position. Today he started panting.... which he now does intermittently.... I have taken him outside and set him down with the other 3 he was born with that have ALWAYS hung together and ran together, but he hardly moves. He just looks at them and then sits down.... What can I do? I don't know what may be the problem. Is it possible the he has a fever/infection? I have kept him in the house these few days, the temp in here has been 73ish.... tho I am working on putting him in a cooler area this evening and from here out..... someone please give me some insight !! Thanks
Tbelknap

So sorry about your Chick, you might want to post on this site
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
Hope it gets to feeling better real soon.

Welcome to BYC!
yippiechickie.gif

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry about your baby. I have no idea what is plaguing your bird. It does sound like he was wounded by the others looking so sick however. I think you should post this question in the emergency section here on BYC for more answers. But for now, if you live in a cold climate, I would keep him under a heat lamp. Sick birds get very cold. Marthab1953 included the link....Here is the link again....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope he recovers soon.
hugs.gif

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X5 on the Emergencies forum, sorry about your sick chicken, hope he gets well.

Did you check his wounds for punctures? Those are more likely to get infected. It sounds like another chicken(?) or more attacked him. I would be careful leaving him alone with the others . He may have had some head injury which would affect his balance.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you in the flock
frow.gif

Wow that is horrible, but it sound's like you are doing the right thing
so far but it will take a couple of days or weeks for you chick to get
back to normal ........ The only difference is I might be keeping your
chicken in a warm place to stay as his body will not be keeping his
body temp at normal ...........

Back
Top Bottom