Need help with bossy and pecky barred rock

HennyPenny44

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2019
Central New Jersey
I have 5 hens all very sweet but my barred rock, as of late, has become very bossy and pushy with two of my other chickens and me. She started laying 2 1/2 weeks ago which is when I think the naughty behavior started. She gives me an egg a day and is my daughter's favorite chicken so I'm hesitant to rehome her.

She was a bossy chick but went through a period before POL when she was not at the top of the pecking order. She whines a lot and loves to talk and get in your face but lately, she also has been pecking me very hard (for treats, I think) and bullying my poor Speckled Sussex who gets the brunt of it as well as my Easter Egger. The Speckled Sussex has always been very skittish but is very gentle and sweet. Now, she is afraid to come out of the coop in the morning because the Barred Rock chases her away from the food and all around the run. I tried hand feeding her or throwing some food on the ground for her but then once my Barred Rock approaches to get a nibble too, she runs away. I provided a separate feeder for her today so she doesn't have to wait to eat in the morning so I hope that works.

As for pecking me, if it weren't for me wearing winter pants, my legs wouldn't look that great. She just gave me a bruise today and that's after "pecking" her with my fingers for the last few days in self defense.

I heard about putting a bossy hen in a crate but all I have is a metal dog crate and it's in the 20's at night where I live. Would it just be during the day or is the solitary confinement a 24 hour thing? Any other suggestions? Thank you in advance!

I heard about putting a bossy hen in a crate but all I have is a metal dog crate and it's in the 20's at night where I live. Would it just be during the day or is the solitary confinement a 24 hour thing? Any other suggestions?
Time out's work great for bullies. Usually in sight of the others to not upset the order too far.

You can do it for only a portion of the day and release her before roost. Or return her to roost after dark once everyone has settled. Or bring her kennel inside for the night. Do whatever will work for you. Sometimes it's trial and error! I agree that while chickens are fairly cold hardy I would not want one to be alone at those temps. Roost time is one of the roughest. Also, morning feeding I think. Bullies can even cause the lower girls to try and find other hidden nesting locations.

Have you already added lots of visual barriers.. things that disrupt direct line of sight. Adding extra feeders can also help. If in sight time out isn't effective... try out of sight for a day and then reintroduce. Or longer, as needed.

Other alternatives... using a game bird tie out to limit the bullies movement or range (short term). I have one to try in case of need for a rowdy fella, but no experience yet and safety for the tied individual would be of priority as well. A product called Pinless Peepers.

Also, all them birds being dual purpose breeds... I would be using a "grower" or "flock raiser" with 18-20% protein and oyster shell free choice on the side... The higher protein *can* help diminish some undesirable behaviors as well as DP birds will do best on not less than 18% protein. I personally never use "layer" and feel my birds have easier molts since switching to the Purina flock raiser, which is always available with fresh mill dates at many stores in my location. I'm sure layer is fine if that's what you use, I'm just sharing information. :)

Last alternative I have... re-home the bullied and only keep ladies that can hold their own with the gal ya like. I do love Rocks... but no bullies allowed here. Or get a rooster (not a cockerel)... he might put them all in check. That very last one, is not a suggestion for families with young children and comes with a whole host of it's own issues.. so basically NOT truly recommended.

Measures may need to be taken to boost the confidence of those bullied gals in addition to taking the bully down a peg or two.. for your greatest success. I'm not sure what this entails exactly... but handling shortly after dark once they've gone to roost can be the easiest time to approach. Once I commit to picking them up, I hold them and stroke them and depending on the reaction talk gently. Sometimes the talking increases the panic. I NEVER set a bird down mid-panic. I set them down when they are calm. Sometimes we will bring them in and offer mealworms (or corn or peas).. or set up an interaction with no other birds (or another calm but not too aggressive) and us offering meal worms... only as a treat for bonding, not regularly as they are too high in fat.

Hope some of these suggestions help! :fl

A peaceful flock is a happy keeper. :hugs

Can you place the dog crate inside the coop? The confinement does work best if it's around the clock. :)

I'm not sure since it's quite large and the coop is only 4'×6'. If I put it in the middle, it would block access to the chicken door, nesting boxes and roosts. I worry about her getting chilly, especially at night, since she won't be able to huddle together with the other hens or move around during the day.

Time out's work great for bullies. Usually in sight of the others to not upset the order too far.

You can do it for only a portion of the day and release her before roost. Or return her to roost after dark once everyone has settled. Or bring her kennel inside for the night. Do whatever will work for you. Sometimes it's trial and error! I agree that while chickens are fairly cold hardy I would not want one to be alone at those temps. Roost time is one of the roughest. Also, morning feeding I think. Bullies can even cause the lower girls to try and find other hidden nesting locations.

Have you already added lots of visual barriers.. things that disrupt direct line of sight. Adding extra feeders can also help. If in sight time out isn't effective... try out of sight for a day and then reintroduce. Or longer, as needed.

Other alternatives... using a game bird tie out to limit the bullies movement or range (short term). I have one to try in case of need for a rowdy fella, but no experience yet and safety for the tied individual would be of priority as well. A product called Pinless Peepers.

Also, all them birds being dual purpose breeds... I would be using a "grower" or "flock raiser" with 18-20% protein and oyster shell free choice on the side... The higher protein *can* help diminish some undesirable behaviors as well as DP birds will do best on not less than 18% protein. I personally never use "layer" and feel my birds have easier molts since switching to the Purina flock raiser, which is always available with fresh mill dates at many stores in my location. I'm sure layer is fine if that's what you use, I'm just sharing information. :)

Last alternative I have... re-home the bullied and only keep ladies that can hold their own with the gal ya like. I do love Rocks... but no bullies allowed here. Or get a rooster (not a cockerel)... he might put them all in check. That very last one, is not a suggestion for families with young children and comes with a whole host of it's own issues.. so basically NOT truly recommended.

Measures may need to be taken to boost the confidence of those bullied gals in addition to taking the bully down a peg or two.. for your greatest success. I'm not sure what this entails exactly... but handling shortly after dark once they've gone to roost can be the easiest time to approach. Once I commit to picking them up, I hold them and stroke them and depending on the reaction talk gently. Sometimes the talking increases the panic. I NEVER set a bird down mid-panic. I set them down when they are calm. Sometimes we will bring them in and offer mealworms (or corn or peas).. or set up an interaction with no other birds (or another calm but not too aggressive) and us offering meal worms... only as a treat for bonding, not regularly as they are too high in fat.

Hope some of these suggestions help! :fl

A peaceful flock is a happy keeper. :hugs

All very good suggestions. Thank you!

I might do the time out but just during the day during a warmer part of the day. But I'm confused...you said the bossy hen should be in sight or out of sight of the other hens when in tome out? Perhaps I should provide some visual barriers in the run, like you say, since it's pretty open.

And if I rehome my bullied hen, my son would be upset because it's HIS favorite! Plus she's a sweetie and I see good potential in her to warm up. She doesn't fight me when I manage to catch her but just makes little nervous sounds and never pecks me unlike my other hens. I tried hand feeding her some greens in my lap away from the other chickens today because miss bossy pants kept chasing her away in the run but she's such a nervous Nelly that she couldn't even eat. She has always been incredibly scared of me even though I hand raised her from day one but she has started to approach me lately and even visits me all by herself as I tidy up the coop.

I just put my chickens on Nutrena layer feed at 16% protein because the grower crumbles were very wasteful and I wanted a pelleted feed going forward. I will check out the Purina flock raiser, like you suggest.

But I'm confused...you said the bossy hen should be in sight or out of sight of the other hens when in tome out?
*Usually* in sight, especially if someone is under quarantine for an injury or something like that. It will make re-integration go smoother.

But if it isn't enough to take her down a peg... then take it up a notch to "out of sight" for a longer period of time....

That Purina flock raiser is only offered in crumbles in my area any more... they used to offer pellets so maybe they still are elsewhere?? Maybe you can find a pelleted grower.. or don't worry about it too much but be sure to keep low nutrient treats like corn or scratch to no more than 10% total daily value. If you don't already have feeders raised level with the ladies backs, that can also help reduce waste.

Please know re-homing the bullied would not likely be my personal choice either. I was just brainstorming possibilities. Sounds like she will come along super lovely! :love

I would stop hand feeding treats, at least for the time being, so she has no reason to be pestering for treats and pecking at you. If she does peck you, peck her back using your thumb and forefinger to jab her in the back or back of neck, not hard enough to hurt but enough to get a reaction.

As far as picking on other birds, what does your run look like? Obstacles help a lot, see: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/ . So does having multiple feeders and possibly multiple waterers, depending on what she's doing. For 7 birds I have 4 feeders/food bowls in the morning.

I would stop hand feeding treats, at least for the time being, so she has no reason to be pestering for treats and pecking at you. If she does peck you, peck her back using your thumb and forefinger to jab her in the back or back of neck, not hard enough to hurt but enough to get a reaction.
This^^^
Now and don't be shy about it.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

In my first 6 hens, I had 2 barred rocks, 2 buff orpingtons and 2 australorps. The BRs were absolute sweet-hearts, and my favorite of the group. In my 2nd flock of 17, I have one BR (only one left when I got them). She is a ruffian! She is the flock lead, and quite the character. Fortunately she doesn't seriously bully the others, but she does give them a good peck if they are in her way. Me on the other hand, she started pecking pretty hard this summer. I did the "peck back" and yell "OWWW", probably about 30+ (probably more than +) times. Don't get discouraged, keep it up. Mine is way better now. I absolutely love her, but she needs to be kept in line. Funny thing is, I can pick her up and carry her around, and she just loves the attention.

Make sure they have plenty of room. Good that you added another feeder - might add another waterer too.

*Usually* in sight, especially if someone is under quarantine for an injury or something like that. It will make re-integration go smoother.

But if it isn't enough to take her down a peg... then take it up a notch to "out of sight" for a longer period of time....

That Purina flock raiser is only offered in crumbles in my area any more... they used to offer pellets so maybe they still are elsewhere?? Maybe you can find a pelleted grower.. or don't worry about it too much but be sure to keep low nutrient treats like corn or scratch to no more than 10% total daily value. If you don't already have feeders raised level with the ladies backs, that can also help reduce waste.

Please know re-homing the bullied would not likely be my personal choice either. I was just brainstorming possibilities. Sounds like she will come along super lovely! :love

Ok, that sounds like a clear plan! But I think I'm going to need to hold off on any quarantining until this winter storm and its accompanying frigid temperatures pass. I looked into the pinless peepers but not sure if I want to go that way just yet. Been observing my chickens and the picked on gal is doing well with the second feeder and came out of the coop without fear today, even drinking alongside the bully hen. Yes, I limit the treats and some of those include soldier worm larvae/mealworms to boost the protein levels.

Back
Top Bottom